View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 26th, 2024, 8:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Budget class 
Firing on two.

Post Budget class
There's a new class being introduced for unmodified 2cvs, crossbox, non-adjustable shocks, stock cam, that sort of thing. It means a road car can be turned into a racer in a weekend, and for much cheapness.

Attachments:
2CV racing economy class for 2011.pdf [535.51 KiB]
Downloaded 475 times

February 7th, 2011, 12:58 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Budget class
That's more like it, proper 2CV racing.

February 7th, 2011, 1:22 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Good news,
wondered what Paul R was hinting at when I spoke to him earlier this week... :)

ken
( Could this mean that there will be 2 minty green motors on the track for 2011?)

February 7th, 2011, 1:51 am
Firing on two.

Great, finally the walkoffs who introduced the silly cam realised that the series needs the money from those who can't afford to be 'competitive' in their terms, sold my racer last year because they would not allow standard cams.

Remember there's still no such thing on UK tarmac circuits as 'cheap motor racing', that's still an anathema.

2cvparts.com remains a keen series sponsor - but well pissed off my car's gone!

Russell wrote:
There's a new class being introduced for unmodified 2cvs, crossbox, non-adjustable shocks, stock cam, that sort of thing. It means a road car can be turned into a racer in a weekend, and for much cheapness.

February 7th, 2011, 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

hmm does look like the silly modifications have been counterproductive for the series even if they do "improve" the lap times. out and out speed is not really the point of 2cv racing is it :roll:

cam is stupid waste of engines and now you have to buy special valves as a "workround"

Now pay an extra £200 for a landrover carb which was supposed to give improvements but was optional and was supposed to level the field ... all at the same time - could never work that one out?
Why not just say 18 32 mandatory control carb, if you want to spend money on a new one or on refurbishing the spindles then fair enough, but it has to be an un modified 18 32 body.

the rest of the stuff isnt that expensive given that the safety stuff is still( and rightly so) mandatory but relatively expensive.

February 7th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Field Plougher

*Insert swear word here* if only they'd told me before !!,
anybody got a chassis going spare?

February 7th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Firing on two.

got a wheels one but don't think its a "club approved " one ;)

February 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm
gym bunny

when i read this on the www.2cvracing.com website i was very excited!

Take it you still need a race license of some kind and a smaller bucket of cash for race fees but still... its a step in the right direction for sure. I really would love to have a go at this in the future. I really hope they get a big take up for this class.

Just out of interest... what does a roll cage cost?

March 8th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

reckon the whole thing saves only a couple of £100 :roll:

would be better binning the Carb and Cam for all, and the rest is optional anyway.
All safety gear as well as license reckon it 'd cost me £1k to get in the seat
roll cage POA new

theres one on ebay but needs diagonal, front brace door bars and rear legs

ask about 2nd hand on racing forum.

March 8th, 2011, 8:32 pm
Firing on two.

to build one from scratch I think would not be expensive or if you can find an early spec race car and work backwards (which is what I did with mine - but went forwards) I think that you really could do it on a budget and who knows at some stage you just might see another Mint Green one on the grid :mrgreen:

I for one am quite interested to see what the difference between the two classes are on the track - especially in the hands of someone like 'Hollis'

As for the cost -

Ards test - MSA Licence, BARC Racing Licence, Classic 2cv Racing Licence then entry fees (I think that they are still the same as the other class)

MSA approved helmet, overalls and really although not compulsory flame retardant underwear, approved fire extinguisher - but once you get all these things they do last for a few years and you can find secondhand items

what might be fun is one for the 24hr race, if you have four of you who want to race, it could be a cheap way to do the the race, even cheaper the following year as you already have the car!

come and have a go -

March 9th, 2011, 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next