View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Olive the Blueberries & Cream D*lly 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Olive the Blueberries & Cream D*lly
Eastbourne 2cv6 wrote:
Patrick I do have ramps, so looking forward to an excuse to use them.
Hugely jealous... I have a cold and dirty concrete floor! One day...

February 2nd, 2013, 12:10 am
Firing on two.

Patrick, the ramps do feel much safer than axel stands. Its getting up the ramps that is a arse-clenching.

Neil, I am delighted to hear that my car is equipped with a fannymould. I shall try and get that component name into conversation as soon as possible. In fact I might just give Kwik Fit a call see if they have any in stock, oh and some Burton snatch clamps too :lol:

February 2nd, 2013, 2:17 pm
Firing on two.

[quote="Eastbourne 2cv6"]Patrick, the ramps do feel much safer than axel stands. Its getting up the ramps that is a arse-clenching.

Yeah they are a bit scary,I now use a plank on each to decrease the slope angle,hence making it easier to drive up them. Having years back driven straight off the end with our Viva crushing the sills into the bargain :lol: Gently does it is the trick :mrgreen: I trolley jack the rear up onto axle stands which gives me loads of clearance to work under the car. On the subject of axle stands,these must be on a very solid surface,I had the same Viva up on them on a tarmac drive,to drop the bell housing for a clutch job. I was lying there wiggling the bell housing back into place, I thought I'd put on weight over lunch,but no the bloody stands were sinking into the drive!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

February 2nd, 2013, 8:28 pm
Firing on two.

Ok, change of plan. Got myself a sparkling full exhaust system (which looks really long when not on the car) from Ecas which includes one Burton clamp and four standard. So I am saving £38 on clamps but spending about an extra £40 to go full system, so works out evens and I get the whole thing done.

The other change of plan is I am not going to fit this myself as I just don't seem to get any spare time at the moment. Turns out one of my clients works for Ebley which is part of the Kwik Fit group. He said if I supply the system and leave it with him for a day hit will fit for £60ish. He has not done one of these for some years, but back in the day they where a regular comers to the garage. So I will drop it in to him tomorrow, my fingers are crossed it all goes well. If it goes tits up you can all have a laugh.

F.Y.I. exhaust centres seem to charge between £240 to £300 to supply and fit a whole system.

February 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Firing on two.

Sorry for the delay. System fitted some weeks back . Chap said he hadn't fitted a 2cv system for 15 years and is happy to wait another 15 until the next one. Well I've got a 4 year rust through warranty so might be sooner than that :lol:

Good news
He says it was gas tight first go.

Bad news
I was a bitch to line up so he could only get one of the bolts on that hold the cross box to the gearbox. :o He said the one bolt is on right tight.

So car running fine. But, there does appear to be a leak at the front connection to the torpedo. Seems to dribble fluid after start up. Condensation?

February 25th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Firing on two.

Condensation - correct. Do not be surprised the cross box snaps its one bracket off with vibration...

February 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm
Aircooled Idiot

You should of dine it yourself!!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

February 25th, 2013, 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Will have to finish it myself James :(

Any ideas how I can get the cross box lined up?

February 26th, 2013, 2:04 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Ben,
the first operation when fitting a full exhaust system should be attaching the crossbox to the gearbox, albeit with the bolts slightly slack to allow the crossbox to pivot forwards and backwards.
After that, loosening the clamps at the front end of the heat exchangers will (usually) give acceptable alignment of the joints between the heat exchangers and the crossbox.

When fitting the swan neck / torpedo/ tailpipe sections together, I wrap the end of the pipe which fits inside the one with a larger diameter with insulation tape, then coat the mating surfaces with Copaslip.
As long as the 36mm clamps aren't overtightened, disassembly at a later date is easy, plus the tape helps to ensure a good seal... ;)

Despite what some folk may say, parts of the exhaust do fail much earlier than others with the swan neck usually the first to go, so replacement of individual parts is worthwhile, in my opinion.

ken

p.s. Did your fellow remove the wings in order to fit the exhaust?
If he didn't, it's hardly surprising that he made a meal of it. :roll:

Eastbourne 2cv6 wrote:
Will have to finish it myself James :(

Any ideas how I can get the cross box lined up?

February 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm
Aircooled Idiot

I replaced the hole system bar the crossbox on mine a few years back

The cross box was the original and was in pretty good order, but got boored of the new crossbox kicking around so replaced it!

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

February 26th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next