View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Conquering sand... 
Firing on two.

Post Conquering sand...
What is the best technique and setup for beating soft sand?

After a cross country trip in the mighty Viking Van, 5000km's, the only thing that stopped us, twice, was soft sand... I know that about letting the tires down (Increases the footprint front to back, not sideways), 10psi(?), I was also told by a local to let the rears down also as it helps support the vehicle, thoughts?

What type of tyre/treat pattern is the best?

Would snow-chains or similar be useful for a raid?

A situation occurred where large 4x4 trucks carrying gravel had dug huge ruts into the sand... The rats where to deep for Viking Van and the sand on top of the ruts was to soft!

Cheers,

Harley

May 25th, 2012, 6:05 pm
viking bastard

Post Re: Conquering sand...
Wer's the bloody pics mate?

May 25th, 2012, 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

chains are a no no, 145s max and yes low pressure dont rev hight try to creep along in a high gear - sometimes you have to gun it to cross a short section where momentum will carry you through

once it bogs dont sit there spinning your wheels it just means more work with the shovel

less tread the better sand tyres were smooth bands around the circumference of the tyre modern "Sahara" tread is large smooth pads that compress the sand making it firmer- but with 2cv sizes its a struggle to find ANY tyres!

Bull dust or feche feche is like driving on axle deep talcum powder you can often see it coming by watching the car in fronts tyre tracks sink deeper and deeper - start looking for an alternative route

sand plates are the only way either GRP, perforated aluminium or steel big chunky "waffle plates" are for 4x4s playing on mud and way ott for the light and nimble 2cv. lengths of supermarket conveyor belt are good as they dont knock lumps out your interior when you throw them back in

^^ what he said Pictures!!

May 25th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Quote:
A situation occurred where large 4x4 trucks carrying gravel had dug huge ruts

Try to drive in 1 track of the truck and the other wheel on the bank, mostly you can make it that way.

A normal 2 2cv has to high gearing for soft sand... so as said above you must make speed so that the momentem pulls you trough (hopefully)...

My Ami has Mehari 4x4 technic with 2cv4 gears ( geared 74 to 1 so 3 times lower geared then a standard 2cv.) in it so in soft sand it ploughs like a tractor trough. It is a hole other way of driving in terrain (2cv high speed/momentum) (ami/Mehari 4x4 low speed and let it plough trough)

Russ

May 25th, 2012, 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
Wer's the bloody pics mate?

http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3970

enjoy :D

Harley

May 26th, 2012, 9:45 am
Firing on two.

whoops

Last edited by Harley on May 26th, 2012, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
sand plates are the only way either GRP, perforated aluminium or steel big chunky "waffle plates" are for 4x4s playing on mud and way ott for the light and nimble 2cv. lengths of supermarket conveyor belt are good as they dont knock lumps out your interior when you throw them back in

Nice advise guys, I particularly like the conveyor belt ideas.

RE: tyres, How about motorcycle tyres? I saw a pic long ago of a 2cv in Argentina with rounded motorcycle tyres.. I guess I answer my own question, good tread patterns but not enough surface area?

Tubes or Tubless?

RE: Lower ratio gears and gearboxes
I like the idea of LN gearbox for strength but see even it is not low enough, so can 2cv4 gears fit in 2cv6 box? say a box with shortest 2cv4 1st and 2nd and longest 2cv6 3rd and 4th?

Cheers,

Harley

May 26th, 2012, 2:12 pm
Firing on two.

http://www.nickfitz.demon.co.uk/GearBox ... ox-2cv.htm

May 26th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Firing on two.

Adding to Sean's conveyor belt advice, lengths of old carpet are much easier to come by and do much the same job. Also a good idea if you can attach them to the back of the car with a length of rope, if you're repeatedly getting stuck in the same stretch of sand you'll appreciate not having to walk so far back to get them.

May 26th, 2012, 10:43 pm
Firing on two.

Harley wrote:
RE: tyres, How about motorcycle tyres? I saw a pic long ago of a 2cv in Argentina with rounded motorcycle tyres.. I guess I answer my own question, good tread patterns but not enough surface area?

I've seen that with 16" (normal road) bike tyres on 400mm rims in the states - I s'pose you could get some good chunky trail bike tyres more easily than such narrow 4x4 tyres, but I dunno about 15". A quick google suggests 16" minimum.

May 28th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next