View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Re setting the windscreen wiper park position 
Firing on two.

Post Re setting the windscreen wiper park position
Since I got to do this today I thought I’d take a few snaps. I just couldn’t be bothered to drive it any further looking at the damn wipers. This is how it was.

Before you do anything make sure the wiper rack is in its parked position, i.e. switched off with the switch, not the ignition.

Getting at the wiper rack is pretty easy. The first step is to remove the plastic dash trim. The top outer bolt is supposed to have a spacer to stop you from breaking the plastic, but they’re usually missing. On reassembly don’t over tighten that screw or you’ll break the plastic!

Once the plastic trim is off undo the two screws holding each heater vent onto the bulkhead.. There is no need to remove them, just move them aside a bit.

Next undo the two 8mm headed bolts on the wiper rack; there is no need to disturb the vent flap mechanism. Finally pull the multi plug apart.

Now pull off the wiper arms, they have a spring retainer. Get a screwdriver under it, move it aside and lever up GENTLY. On one arm, before you pull it off completely mark where it went on the spline with a dot of tippex on the spline.

Next remove the nut, the washer and the rubber seal from the wiper spindle.

The rack can now be removed from the car. When you turn it over you’ll see the arm on the wiper motor. In order to change the park position you need to alter the position of the arm on the shaft of the wiper motor. This is where mine was pointing.

I’d suggest this is a good time to lubricate the spindles. The wear, they seize and once worn will let in water. To get them off you remove the central clip on the drive with a pin nose pair of pliers. Be gentle with them. They will survive being removed and re installed. Opened up they look like this. Gently prise them apart by squeezing the short tangs together.

Note there is a washer, don’t lose it! You can now pull off the drive arms and remove the two spindles from the rack by6 undoing the two nuts.

Squirt penetrating oil into the spindle and rotate it by hand until it is smooth and free. Use something like Duck oil that’ll stay in place.

Once it is properly lubricated reassemble the wiper rack, remembering to move the arm on the motor. Mine ended up looking like this. I simply leave the arm on the wiper motor slightly loose, put the wiper arm I marked back onto the rack and move it to the position I want it to sit in. Once it is in that position tighten the 10mm nit on the arm on the motor.

Now put the wiper rack back into the car. I suggest you re fit the wiper arms before finally installing the dash trim.

Last edited by twofifty AZU on May 11th, 2011, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Re setting the windscreen wiper park position
Nice one, sticky'd!

May 11th, 2011, 10:18 pm
Firing on two.

:? But the wipers are still on the drivers side. :lol:

May 11th, 2011, 10:30 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
:? But the wipers are still on the drivers side. :lol:

Nah, you're just imagining it....

Thanks, I fixed it! :oops:

May 11th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

I was going to mention the 'quick and dirty' method of switching the side on which the wipers park, using 'keyhole' surgery.

But having read this, I reckon it's better to take the motor out and service the linkages, which makes it a proper job... 8-)

ken

May 11th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Firing on two.

Can't you just swap the + and - terminals around??? Thats all i did, now they park on the other side... Or am i being thick...

Harley

May 16th, 2011, 5:56 am
Firing on two.

Hi, I'm a newbie here and found this thread to be excellent for re-setting my wiper park position. It gives the opportunity to service the wiper assembly - my passenger side spindle was nearly seized - and the finished result is much faster wipers that "sound" happier.

Thanks a million for posting twofifty AZU :D

August 22nd, 2011, 11:51 pm
Firing on two.

Very good guide!

If I may add something, if you need a new washer to keep the water out you can use one of these:

October 25th, 2011, 11:38 pm
Firing on two.

We don't get those in this heathen country, but if you send me a crate I'll happily distribute the washers to those that need them.....

October 26th, 2011, 1:46 am
Firing on two.

I removed the white wire to the motor,now park em where ever you want on the switch :shock: bit of a bodge i know but the front pannels a bit tender so it will do till i replace it :mrgreen:

March 20th, 2012, 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next