View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 My red one. 
Field Plougher

Post Re: My red one.
ken wrote:
Hi Louis,
or check that the bump stops are present and correct(ly adjusted)? ;)

ken

Little Louis wrote:
It got broked. Too low, must get harder springs.

in which way do they need to be adjusted i guess less of them?

October 11th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Field Plougher

Now its getting cold, to the point of frost, I've decided its a good time to start working on my car again :lol:
so I've put on my narrow headlamp bar, I put some chrome head lamp shells on (mainly because there were the first ones I found and it means I don't have to duck around trying to get my others off) and I've made a start on trying to make my front end easier to remove :roll:

Looks like I welded my headlamp bar in the dark, blind folded as its fairly wonky :?

I tried to show all the spots of rust on the head lamps but my phone didn't like the light conditions and ive got Parkinson's from being so cold so it came out really blurry :lol:

November 21st, 2010, 5:43 pm
Firing on two.

Narrow headlamp bars rock. e there or be...er...square. :D

November 21st, 2010, 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

I'm impulsive and a little silly when it comes to cars, actually most things, not just cars, so when my dad asked me what I wanted to christmas last year my mind jumped to going to spa in 2009, going round the m25 just on the really badly surfaced part, with pete telling me that on his GS engined car he managed to get at least 30% extra power from running twin carbs, and I'd seen photos of 2cv kit cars with twin carbs, and of course Barbot's 2cv and olli's van, so you can see where my mind angled?

So I got a big box saying "DellOrto carbourati" or similar on it, me and my dad spend a few days dismantling the carbs, and playing with them to see how they worked, then school started and they sat for a few weeks, with a few hours now and then after school searching for cables and the such like, then on tuesday two weeks ago, I came across the pembleton owners/builders forum (http://pembleton.co.uk/bulletinboard/index.php), where I asked if any one had experience with doing twin carbs on 602s, I got a response extremely fast, as I ate my food, and later an email from one of their members giving me a really in depth account of where to get some of the things I needed from, (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu) so I ordered some cables, some solderable nipples, and a cable splitter, the cables turned out to be too thick, but I managed to use parts of them later on

Starting the set up began with the cables, I ended up using cables that were from a bicycle shop, the road bike kind of brake cables, filed down to fit into the slot then making up the splitter and soldering the nipples on.
The first two: Coming immediately off the carbs were relatively easy as with all the outers of the cables and the double end of the cable splitter on the cable I had room to get the end of the cable in the vice to solder the nipples on, as I have a fairly rubbish soldering iron it wouldn't heat up the cables hot enough to make the nipples stick to my cables, this is where the vice comes in, I decided a blow torch would get them hot enough and it did, however, this posed a problem when using an original throttle cable as there was not much room between where the the nipple needed soldering on and and where the plastic splitter was, maybe an inch, but we had a helpful other louis around at this time who used a spade to shield the splitter. I'll leave you now with the picture of my dad holding a cable with some pliers, me with a blow torch and Louis Barbour holding a spade, in the garage huddled together with the front door open in sub zero temperatures, how strange we must look from the out side looking in, I hope this is not too non sensical, but after writing for long periods, and thinking about it too, my brain goes to shit, so another post will follow when I've pushed my brain back up my nose.

January 30th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Field Plougher

Right, country file, that was my problem, some people complaining about people chopping down trees and teaching specials kids to feed cows, just in the back ground, I'll leave that though, otherwise I may give the swear filter a battering.

After the cables, came the inlet and exhaust manifold.
So one was angle ground into shape, long and short was dad chopped into the exhaust, and we left it there for sunday, so monday night i cut the other one with a hack saw, to prevent other complications such as above.
Tuesday: welded up first hole, decided to smooth off, failed, and cut a bigger hole in exhaust manifold, promptly ran out of welding gas, phoned Pete Sparrow who was dropping off his son here on Friday.
Wednesday: Decided I'd start it, turned it over petrol pissing everywhere, tightened up bolts jubilee clips ect... so started up minus manifold, flames coming from exhaust, flames coming from carbs, petrol every, bad idea.
So go broom cut broom to fit where I'd cut old manifold, put trumpet thingys on carbs, then attempted starting it, didn't start, so to the shed, stole the brake cables off my bmx, filed them down, a lot, to make choke cables, use an electrical block to connect them open the door hand out to pull them,
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 3&comments

Friday: Sparrow and son arrived, manifold produced, mahooosive smile on my face.

Saturday: woke up with a headache :roll: so straight to the garage to snap four hack saw blades, and sort a manifold out, fit it, stud on head wouldn't budge, so make spacer bolt down torque it torque in lets, sort out exhausts, at this point the choke cables aren't together properly so had to get a helpful friend to pull them as I started it*, it idled once warm, had to angle the carbs to make heat exchangers fit.

Sunday: spend Fking ages messing round with choke cables and found a solution using normal chokes,
bashed wings around a bit , so they fitted.

* sound fans its soo so loud, to the point where its ridiculous, my car is fairly sound proofed too, but the straight pipe don't help, so I'm gonna try and copy Dalton's belgium car set up, Pete suggested this to lessen the noise.
It really growls with the straight pipe and increased gas flow.

Sorry its gone down hill, ask me on bits I missed out.

January 30th, 2011, 10:42 pm
Field Plougher

Sh*t forgot photos.

Trial fit:

bulkhead with added adjustment:

petrol pipes:

how its fitting in:

Cut manifold:

home made choke cable splitter:

January 30th, 2011, 10:47 pm
gym bunny

great work mate... glad your getting on with things and have plenty of advice!

February 1st, 2011, 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

Pissed off, why did I do all this shit (mainly lowering) might fuck it all off and go to standard again, reasons not to please. :evil:

March 17th, 2011, 12:50 am
Firing on two.

1. It looks 'kin mint.
2. See reason 1

March 17th, 2011, 1:09 am
Firing on two.

Little Louis wrote:
Pissed off, why did I do all this shit (mainly lowering) might duck it all off and go to standard again, reasons not to please. :evil:

Lowering looks nice and I suppose for racing has a practical application. For driving your car around in general though it's probably better off standard?

March 17th, 2011, 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next