View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Gearbox Lid (Detent Spring) 
Firing on two.

Post Gearbox Lid (Detent Spring)
Hi all.

Unfortunately for me I have to take off the top of my gearbox and stretch out the detent spring by 5mm. Rick Pembro has suggested this to me, its a lovely smooth gearbox rebuilt my him years ago. It sometimes glides gently out of 3rd gear recently but its otherwise faultless.

Does the top of the gearbox just detach and reattach easily? A see the fixings, I just worry about how the actual selector shaft part works.

Thanks!

January 18th, 2023, 9:15 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Gearbox Lid (Detent Spring)
The gearbox lid will be under a little tension from the detent spring.

It's not unknown for these springs to ping, and disappear, never to be seen again.

The selector shafts are all contained within the main body of the box.

I don't think there is a gasket, just sealant. Old sealant should be cleaned up and new applied.

Take a photo of where any brake pipes attach, to help determine nuts and bolts for reassembley.

Straight forward enough, but watch out for your back as it's at an annoying angle when bending over to the middle of car.

January 19th, 2023, 7:01 am
Firing on two.

And put the gearbox in neutral before taking off the lid. This later easier in reassembly.

January 19th, 2023, 5:20 pm
Firing on two.

And when put the lid back, keep focused the gear lever goes to right place on "grooves" at selector rods. If not, it is very easy to bend the rod/rods when tighten the lid screws...

Don't ask how I know... :oops:

January 19th, 2023, 6:42 pm
Firing on two.

When refitting the lid, (assuming it's a disc-brake box), the bolts and studs alternate, so going clockwise, starting at the one at the back corner near the speedo cable drive, it goes:
stud for earth cable,
bolt,
stud for air filter support,
bolt,
stud for brake pipe bracket,
bolt,
stud for brake pipe bracket,
bolt.

January 20th, 2023, 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks all, amazing help as always.

I changed the linkage rubbers today so I'll see if that makes a difference. Somehow I had 3 washers on what I had on there. Refitted with a washer top and bottom of the end that attaches to the end of the dash lever.

One is wavy, but I lost the other wavy one recently so is it OK having a flat washer on one end of that?

To be honest, I've never had this effect from bad rubber bushings even when they've been completely ruined, so I expect I'll be popping the top off the box soon.

January 25th, 2023, 8:22 pm
Firing on two.

It's only done it once since new bushes. And not really popping out of gear, just I was on overrun in 3rd and went to accelerate and it had ever so gently glided into neutral.

Hmm, maybe I should still do this spring. But it definitely seems less urgent now.

February 11th, 2023, 11:44 am
Firing on two.

Team 2cv. Thanks to you guys I plucked up the courage to take off the top of the gearbox, and it was extremely easy.

Thanks so much, I'd have had no idea it was as simple as this.

However, I found no spring. I was very careful taking the lid off, and definitely no tension upwards was present when I undid the fasteners.

On examination there was no spring. I can see where a spring should go, and the ball bearing it should be putting pressure on. And the indents on the shafts.

It's a slight mystery since I did it carefully and also had one of those big rubber mats to lay on that has slight 'sides'. I normally just lay on the ground when doing car stuff but I thought if the spring went ping it may catch it falling through.

No spring there, or anywhere around. And I put a torch inside the empty drained gearbox and nothing fallen there at all. I've looked for ages and the inside of the gearbox is very visible because I drained out a couple days in prep for fresh oil. (Thinking while I do this spring I'll have the top off and can literally just pour oil in. So easy!)

Never mind, I'll move on and wait for Ecas to open on Monday and order a spring.

Really cool looking at the innards of the gearbox in the mean time. Last time I saw inside a gearbox was when I had motorbikes as a teen!

May 26th, 2023, 7:09 pm
Firing on two.

So I bought a magnetic tool to try and find the spring. I carefully probed all inside the gearbox and all over the ground to try and find it. Just for peace of mind.

Popped the new spring in and wow does it feel different now. It's a mystery that, its not like there's anywhere for a spring to disappear to, it's a closed tube isn't it. But it feels very different now so I have to wonder if somehow I've been without a spring all this time. I was very careful removing the lid, and had a sliding mechanics mat all under the front of the car on the ground to catch anything.

Oh well, it's done now.

Partially filled the gearbox and drained it again after just in case the spring happened to be attached to the magnetic drain plug or something.

Drove it home and it was perfect. Happy days.

June 1st, 2023, 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]