View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Petrol for 2cv 
2CV Fan

Post Petrol for 2cv
Not sure if this has been asked before.
Which of the new spec petrols are people using for the 2CV?
don

August 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Petrol for 2cv
It's going to end up being one of those personal choice things.

Ethanol is going to be in all fuels but in the Premium fuels limited to 5%, for now. I think they're going to review that in a few years. Other fuels 10%.

Esso Super in my area (and everywhere apart from Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Kent I think) is currently still ethanol free but they said when I wrote to them that they won't be applying for a license to keep it that way. It's the only company I wrote to that guaranteed it was currently ethanol free in their premium fuel. Esso still says 5% on their premium nozzles but only because they're allowed to put it in if they want so it's a mandatory sign.

Myself, I don't want ethanol.
My Deuche has done approx 190 journeys home as max throttle for 200 miles each way. I have always used premium and a little Redex for those journeys, and the motor is still original and awesome.

Having said that, I do remember 2 star fuel, And 2cvs can run on that, so maybe whatever you put in it is fine. Pretty hardcore little motors aren't they. I still would worry about the effects on the fuel tank though. And I guess the carb.

August 20th, 2021, 9:18 pm
Firing on two.

E10 has already arrived on the forecourts of many, if not most, petrol stations in the UK, ahead of the September deadline. Today on the way home I needed to refuel the 2CV after it has been in storage for several months, and the regular 95 unleaded at Morrison's in Leominster was labelled E10. I ended up using it because one of our continental 2CV friends has mentioned on this very forum that E10 has been in use over there for most of the last decade and it hasn't appeared to have affected his 2CV in any way, with over 70,000kms done in the intervening years. I will admit I've used Super 98/99 E5 the last few fill-ups on the 1932 Morris Minor, even though an ethanol rich petrol was sold in the UK between 1928-1967, under the brand name of Cleveland Discol. It's been suggested that the volume of ethanol was maybe as much as 20-30%! Henry Ford even designed the Model T to run on 100% ethanol with a tweak to the carburettor.

The issue with ethanol is the fact that if you leave fuel standing, so it just sits there, then the ethanol can potentially absorb moisture from the air. That moisture/water will chemically react with the ethanol to create an acid which can then damage certain metals and plastics, rubber, cork. The trick is to either ensure you use the car regularly enough that it doesn't give enough time for the chemical reaction to take place, or to use an additive that will neutralise the reaction.

August 20th, 2021, 11:01 pm
Firing on two.

It would definitely help if you ensure the fuel is getting used up.

August 21st, 2021, 6:41 pm
2CV Fan

Hi.
Thanks for the replies. I've topped up with tank of E10 so we'll see what happens in the long term.
None of the older cars I've had seemed to suffer from the lack of leaded petrol, always ran them onn the cheapest.
I do remembe the Cleveland Discol although i don't remember if I ever used it.There were one or two other cheaper brands which I was advised to avoid but if I was stuck I used anything.
The 2cv is no longer used every day due to retirement but at least a couple of times a week on short runs.
I see in the news this morning that Algeria has just used up the last of the world's stock of leaded fuel.
Has the lead in the atmosphere aculally decreased since we stopped using it?
Cheers
Don.

August 31st, 2021, 11:54 am
Firing on two.

With the weight of lead acting against it, even in exhaust emissions, it tended to stay fairly close to the ground and settle quite quickly. The issue then became high levels of lead in the soil, where farmers (and gardeners) were growing their veg, so enters the body with what we eat (this also includes sheep and cows eating grass with higher than natural levels of lead in the soil, and the meat ending up on our plates). *I believe* lead levels in the environment have vastly reduced over the last twenty or so years, and levels in the bodies of younger generations (I'm 50) are now much lower than in older generations (lead remains in the body for life).

*Don't quote me on that though, I might well be wrong :lol:

August 31st, 2021, 12:58 pm
Firing on two.

The removal of lead made so much difference to me. I cycle to work and around town, haven't got time to be dealing with a car short distance. It was noticeable. But then everyone got a diseasel. Still now, reeking diesel fumes everywhere and black dirt all over the hedges and verges. So you can imagine what it's like riding uphill these days. You just have to breathe in the acrid fumes, deeply.

I had to put E10 in my 80's Mercedes in Devon yesterday. All the Suoer pumps were shut off. I just put in what I needed so I can top up with Super back in Reading. I put some additive in too. I know one time will be fine, but I hate the idea of it.

August 31st, 2021, 3:41 pm
Firing on two.

I've always used 98 for long or hot journeys in the summer. As I learnt recently the octane rating is simply about resistance to pinking. So for towing and whatnot 98 is ideal.

On the daily commute I use E10, but if I'm going to be leaving a car standing I'll leave 98 in it.

So far so good. Car is still doing 45mpg on E10 so can't complain.

September 8th, 2021, 10:26 am
Firing on two.

Since a few years i only use E10 in all 2cvs old and new, i have no problems. Some times as the car has stood for a long time the idle jet can get blocked. And i heard from new plastic fuel lines getting brittle??

September 8th, 2021, 8:49 pm
Firing on two.

Good to know. I also worry about my lawnmower over winter. There will be many many lawnmowers thrown away I suspect due to running problems.

September 10th, 2021, 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next