View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Crankcase breather/Reniflard is it duff? 

Post Crankcase breather/Reniflard is it duff?
Since taking ownership of my ‘87 2cv6 I’ve been trying to cure a minor oil leak, evident when left parked in the garage. So far I’ve replaced the pushrod goggle seals & rocker cover gaskets, pushed the dipstick fully home, checked crankshaft seals & oil pressure switch both ok. Oil breather/reniflard has been replaced with one from 2cvcity. All to no avail. Compression on both cylinders is good (new barrels+pistons), I made a simple manometer & checked the crankcase pressure. At idle the reading was 50-60mm, which I believe is ok but when revved to about 3000 rpm it tends to level out then at higher rpm it goes positive which from my research is ‘bad’ .
The level on the dipstick side of the manometer should always be higher than the open side.
Any thoughts/advice on whether the replacement breather needs replacing/repairing would be very helpful.

January 11th, 2021, 8:52 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Crankcase breather/Reniflard is it duff?
If everything is sealed on the breather back to the filter, and your not getting oil in the filter box, then myself, I wouldn't be to bothered.

Another place it can leak and be a bugger to detect, is from the oil cooler pipes going into the block. Don't ask me how I know......

Galvanic action corrodes the alloy pipe. A can of Clutch and Break cleaner can clean the oil away to help detection. It will leak more under pressure.

January 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Thanks Roger, yes I forgot to mention the oil cooler banjo bolt connections, I managed to strip the thread on one cylinder head, repaired with helicoil, perhaps I should check the other side once again.
To be honest, it’s a bit of an obsession trying to stop oil leaks, I feel like I should be able to do it but might have to concede for sanity’s sake.

January 11th, 2021, 9:42 pm
Firing on two.

The leaks are not always obvious because the fan blows the oil about. You only need a pinhole in the oil cooler for it to leak.

January 11th, 2021, 9:53 pm
Firing on two.

If you're getting those readings from a new breather, I would send it back, regardless of whether it's contributing to the oil leaks. There have been some cheap ones that weren't made properly inside and they don't do the job that the part is designed to do, (so they're not fit for purpose). Ecas sell the good quality ones.

January 12th, 2021, 3:27 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I had the same problem with a fairly new breather some time ago.
So I ordered an overhaul set from van Gool
https://vgs2cv.be/?lang=en#!/Olievulbui ... y=29445078

And since than the leak is fixed.Before renovating the breather,I found out that the old breather was not faulty constantly, only with high rpm . Then the
crankcase pressure was + instead of - .
So probably the new breather is faulty , as mentioned by chevrons2.

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

January 12th, 2021, 9:09 am

Thanks Chevrons2 & Geert, good advice & what I suspected. Too much time has passed to return the replacement breather, should’ve checked it once fitted, my mistake but I wouldn’t have expected it to be a problem. Experience is a wonderful thing. Ah well another order will be on it’s way to Ecas, probably for the Burton overhaul kit which looks excellent.

January 12th, 2021, 10:50 am
Firing on two.

DIY Fix.
Spring steel (Cut with Kitchen Scissors :() or an old Feeler gauge.

Crimp the threads when nuts are tight.

Attachment:
PRC_0001.jpeg

Attachment:
PRC_0002.jpeg

Attachment:
PRC_0003.jpeg

Fixed about 5+ years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

January 12th, 2021, 2:36 pm
Firing on two.

Nice solution !!! What about the rubber hoses inside ? Theybecome very hard overtime, but maybe it has no effect on the working principle. I know there is also a smaller version of the breather which makes use of a metal valve.

January 12th, 2021, 4:54 pm
Firing on two.

Very nice Pete :)

My only concern would be the life of the reeds.

With the same idea in mind, I did look a good while back to see if I could find some 2 stroke engine reeds.

January 12th, 2021, 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next