View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Oil Light Not Working 
Firing on two.

Post Oil Light Not Working
Friends, my oil light doesn't work. It may be because my ignition wires all fell off while I was driving recently and I stuck them back on but maybe they're wrong.

Any chance of a picture of how the wires connect on the back on the ignition switch off a late special?

The bulb itself is fine when connected to the hazard connections.

September 25th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Oil Light Not Working
the circuit itself is very simple.

A switched 12v supply to the bulb. A wire from the bulb to the oil pressure sender. The sender switches the ground side of the circuit.when there is pressure, the sender breaks the circuit

The oil pressure sender, is not to far from the points box, and the wire for it goes through the front of the fan cowling with the wire that goes to the points box.

If you follow those wires up from the bottom of the cowling to the headlight bar, you will most lightly find a disconnected wire. Somewhere in the wiring harness suppling the lights and coil etc, is a wire without anything plugged in. Its most lighly dropped down if you cant see it. :)

Whilst testing, dont burn your coil out by leaving the ignition switched on constantly. ;)

September 26th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks Roger. I feel like it coincided with the ignition wires falling off, but I'll investigate from the sensor up. I replaced that one a few years ago so I know where it lives.

September 28th, 2020, 11:02 am
Firing on two.

Thanks Roger I'll check it out. I did replace that sensor a few years ago so I know the one.

October 2nd, 2020, 7:29 pm
Firing on two.

Coming back to this one as all the other wiring seems fine but I still have no red light when I turn the ignition on.

If anyone would be able to confirm which wires go where, preferably with a piccy, that would be really helpful. Its just my wires fell off while i was driving (they were very loose for years to be honest and I should have sorted that out) and I plugged them back on while still moving a bit. (Motor cut out obviously.)

Anyone got a nice pic they can show me? Or a wiring diagram that will hurt my brain for an '89 Special?

Attachment:
IMAG1422.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG1421.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May 10th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Firing on two.

The circuit itself, is very simple.

There will be a switched (ignition switch) 12v supply, (probably via a fuse) to one terminal of the bulb. The other terminal of the bulb connects to the oil pressure switch (there is a little wiring harness from the light bar, to the points box, and the wire then spurs off to the pressure switch). The oil pressure switch grounds (via the engine block) when there is no oil pressure.

Neither the pressure switch end, or the dashboard end is easy to work on.
If you had a previous issue at the dash board end, then suspect that first.

Probably, you have just pulled a wire off of the bulb holder. :)

May 10th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Firing on two.

Ah I've had the dash panel off a few times, I did check the red bulb by plugging it in to the indicator light. All connectors checked yesterday and looked good.

I found a picture of a Burton switch that suggests pink, black and red in that order. Mine I think are pink red black. I'll have to have a proper l look tomorrow. I will report back.

May 11th, 2021, 12:34 am
Firing on two.

Ignition on, with coil disconnected so you don't burn out coil if you forget (don't ask), with a multimeter, check at the pressure sensor to see if you have 12 getting to it.

May 11th, 2021, 11:51 am
Firing on two.

http://www.entmontage.de/elektrik_e.htm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May 12th, 2021, 10:40 pm
Firing on two.

That's a great reference isn't it. Thanks.

I haven't had time to look at my wires, other than verifying which one is 12v power in. (My boss did that with his Multimeter.)

May 14th, 2021, 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next