View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Backfire 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Backfire
Yeah ... life's a beach!

So .... wassup? Studs buggered?

July 22nd, 2020, 10:00 pm
Firing on two.

Buggered studs, yeah. No threads left, and broke them off trying to get them out. I've never fail with the welding trick before, but never tried it in aluminium casings before. I was pretty confident on that trick. However, I have another trick up my sleve. I'm going at it now, wish me luck.

If all fails, I'll butcher one of my shelf engines for it's heads. If I can get the manifold off... *laughing hysterically*

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

July 23rd, 2020, 11:07 am
Firing on two.

With the welding trick, its as much the heat breaking out the corrosion as it is being able to get hold of it. Tried mole grips?

July 23rd, 2020, 12:13 pm
Firing on two.

Try welding a nut on!

July 23rd, 2020, 12:15 pm
Firing on two.

My 2 studs worth:)

I have redrilled/tapped to take M8 studs and then use brass nuts, they don't corrode as much.

Quite a few years back the "Tab/Ear" had cracked and was going to come off, got a clever ali Aluminuim welder to do an excellent repair.

July 23rd, 2020, 12:15 pm
Firing on two.

Getting a grip on the stud is not the problem. The problem is, that it brakes off every time. I've spent 5 hours of my life today on this intake gasket job. And 3 hours yesterday. I mean, I can change a clutch on a Citroen CX in that time, but I cant change a intake gasket on a 2CV in that time.

I've welded the stud maybe 30 times, and braking it off with force. The weld is good, it's just the stud is SOLID in there.
I tried this trick, using a starter battery and jumper cables. Melted the cables at the end. Stud got red hot but DID NOT MOVE. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlJ5f2-FcQ

I started butchering an engine for it's heads(the manifold came off easy just unscrewing the nuts, with no broken studs), when I saw serious pitting on the pushrod tubes after getting on head off. I just got enough, and threw all the parts in boxes, hauled the car out of the workshop and in to the barn. Threw the boxes behind the car, and the fenders.
I mean, I can fix that pitting with JB Weld. But who knows how the valves are. How the valveguides are. The seats. And one spark plug hole looked suspicious. If I was to go ahead with those heads, the nightmare could easily turn into an engine rebuild. While all I wanted to do, was to change a 8 quid intake gasket.

When I can stomach to see the car again, I'll pull off the heads and bring them to a machine workshop. I'll ask them to put new studs in, don't care how they do it. If they wanna cut the whole section off and rebuild it by welding, I couldnt care less, I just hope they can get it sorted. Unfortunately closed until 4th of august. I have tried drilling out those studs before on a different engine. Did not go well. I'm not trying that again.

I'll just use my D*lly for now, but it is not the car I want to go travel with...
Only my yellow car is my travel car, since 2007. And although I hate it at the moment, I will surely miss it.....

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

July 23rd, 2020, 7:11 pm
Firing on two.

Mines being a pain in the ass as well. :)

Some times, you just have to walk away for a while.

Let us know when you are back in love. :)

July 28th, 2020, 10:35 pm
Firing on two.

weld a new piece of screw tread on this and use it again??

July 29th, 2020, 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3