View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Steel parts on doors for mounting door seals 
Firing on two.

Post Steel parts on doors for mounting door seals
Hei

I am wondering if those steel profiles on the doors can be bought somewhere? I'm not sure what to call them in English, but have a picture, it shows what I'm talking about:

Some of the doors are to good to be replaced, it's only this bottom part that is rotten. When starting to remove rust I might find there's not enough good steel to weld those profiles on as it is. I can maybe fabricate the inside door bottom, but it will be a lot of work with unknown result. Is there some other way to easily fix this? I can weld okay.

Considering a new door is about 300 euros + paint, it's worth trying to repair.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

July 4th, 2020, 11:24 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Steel parts on doors for mounting door seals
What about a second hand door ?
There are lots of them for sale on the internet.

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

July 4th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Firing on two.

Hi EirikJ,
Have the same problem, yet to do but see here...
http://2cvgbparts.co.uk/product/2cv-doo ... air-strip/

July 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Firing on two.

Never seen that site before, thanks!

Yes, used doors are an option, but I want to try and repair these if I can.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

July 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Firing on two.

Brilliant parts there, didn't know they could be got.

July 24th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Firing on two.

They are very challenging to fit!

July 28th, 2020, 2:17 pm
Firing on two.

Pictures of what you have done....

July 28th, 2020, 7:23 pm
Firing on two.

Sure, here's what I did.

I have a few other doors with less rust, but if I changed the door, I must paint it. And then it will turn into a restoration before I know it. And that's NOT what I want as I consider the car way too good for that.
I have the perfect solution for keeping rust at bay. I've used it since the 90's, and it is just the best method. I decided to apply that on the door, and just glue the door seal on after. It worked perfectly, for little work and no money at all. I bet the door will function just fine for years to come.

First, remove all loose rust with a wire brush:

Then, apply two layers of Owatrol rust preventing oil. This is THE secret to battle rust. It's THE perfect product if there's rust between metal sheets. Or just rust. The rust soaks it up and the oil fill the pores, removing all moisture. When this is completely dry, layers of oil paint will go over it. I forgot to take picture of this stage, but the oil is clear so it would have looked like the first picture ;)

Next stage is a quality rust preventing paint, the unbeatable Owatrol C.I.P. This paint can even be painted over with two-component car paint if cured for at least 4 days. For those who say it can't, I have, and it did. Still works 4 years later, no issues with the two component car paint. I can't praise this paint enough. Two layers of this, or as many as you can bother with. If you don't have C.I.P, one can use Quick Bengalakk Arcanol base coat instead, as long as no two component paint are being used on top. Adding 20% Owatrol rust oil in the Quick Bengalakk Arcanol adds super-powers to it, makes it a bit flexible and even more resistant to stone shipping. Also smootens out the brush strokes perfectly. But don't add it to the C.I.P, if using that)

Then, two layers of Quick Bengalakk top coat, which is an oil based paint. Very good in combination with the Owatrol products. Can be blended in any color. The white one I used here on this door, is blended to match the original paint of the car.

With that, the rust preventing measures was complete. I did the underside and suspension parts of my yellow 2CV this way in 2006. Only removed loose rust with a wire brush. Still not a trace of rust, 14 years later.(Not used in winter though)

Now I had a solid base to apply glue/sealant. I used Tec7, because that's what I have laying around. It's a good universal product.
Laid a string of sealant/glue along the bottom part of the door, then just pressed the door seal to it, and adjusted the angle of it.

Fitted the door after the sealant had cured. Perfect!! This will last for years to come, I guarantee it. No need to change the door, welding or anything that damages the paint. All the paints I used are from my shelves as I use them all the time on everything that rusts, so this repair cost me nothing.
That's the way aha aha I liiiike it, aha aha.....

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

August 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm
Firing on two.

Rust treat, paint and glue is exactly what I did, as Erik has beautifully explained.

August 4th, 2020, 4:10 pm
2CV Fan

Well that's inspired me, thank you - just ordered 1L of the magic potion!

August 5th, 2020, 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]