View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Voltage Regulator 
Firing on two.

Post Voltage Regulator
Hi guys. I can't seem to buy a decent voltage regulator. Years ago this was a very easy thing, but whatever I buy now just seems to be faulty in one way or another.

I got a reasonable result last time although if anything it did charge a tiny bit in the high side. This one is expiring slowly now I think.

Is there some great place where I can buy a good quality part? It's so sad how bad car parts can be these days..

October 2nd, 2019, 10:54 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Voltage Regulator
Check you have good grounds.
Try ECAS. :)

October 2nd, 2019, 11:02 am
Firing on two.

You can always rely on Ecas to supply good quality parts if they are available. Occasionally quality parts are not available and in such cases, in my experience, Ecas are very active in searching for best possible options.

October 3rd, 2019, 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Firing on 1-2 Spark

How do you check that it isn.t any good.. The internal gauge of Citroen is a lyar first class :D.. You reelly need to measure with a Voltmeter. It should be 14.6 volt at the battery revving the engine.. I never had a failure with these new sealed voltage regulators. Did you try another dynamo, maybee 1 of the diodes has gone or the brushes..

Russ

October 4th, 2019, 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Ipgo is correct, though I would have thought that if the brushes had worn down to not enough to contact the slip ring, little or no current would be produced.

I bought a new old stock mechanical one off Ebay for £15, but it was years ago. Still a few s/h:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... acat=61521

October 4th, 2019, 7:59 am
Firing on two.

Ah I don't have the gauge. I have the simpler dash unfortunately. I only measure with one of those cheap ones you plug into the cigarette lighter.

My alternator is reconditioned by a great little one man place but that made no change. The thing I notice now is my headlamps are a bit flickering. And if I use my indicators the headlights dim a little as the indicators flash. I've been through a few cheap voltage regulators so assumed it was probably just that.

Secondhand sounds like an idea actually, thanks. I may pop the car to the nice alternator man and see what he thinks too.

Thanks guys.

October 4th, 2019, 10:56 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

almost worn brushes will producing spikes of Current (volt) (at the moment they catch). The regulator can.t cope with this spikes fast enough so at the moment they regulat down the spike already has gone and the overall voltage is then to low... I hope once again you understand what Im trying to tell..

Russ

October 4th, 2019, 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The headlight/indicator issue suggests bad ground connections.

Check all grounds. Headlight, Indicators, regulator, battery (both grounds), etc.

Buy a cheap multimeter!

October 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Firing on two.

Ipgo, don't worry I understand perfectly. Makes sense to me. I will ask the advice of the man who rebuilt it, it has a guarantee.

Also I will check earth connections thoroughly. I did have some issues ages ago that saw some odd behaviour with the foglight,and also the little brake warning bulb was glowing dimly. That was easy to resolve with renewing earth connections on the bulkhead.

Thanks again all.

October 4th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Firing on two.

Noticed today the fan belt had got really loose. Okay, I guess that probably explains that then, lol..... I had it spot on so assumed it was still fine. Silly me.

I'll see how it goes now. I had even noticed the rear lights flickering at idle so at least that should be sorted I hope.

January 9th, 2020, 3:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next