View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2024, 1:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Interior light modification 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Interior light modification
turbofiat124 wrote:

You lucky bastards in the UK. You get about 2 to 3 more hours of sunlight in the summer than we do!

I live on the most northerly of the Shetland Islands, so the most northerly island in the British Isles, and we get what the locals call "da simmer dim" at midsummer. Sunrise is 3:30am and sunset is 10:40pm. It just doesn't get dark. I can sit and read a book at 1am without any artificial light.

On the downside, winters are far harsher than anywhere else in the UK. The sun doesn't rise until 9:15am, and by 2:40pm it's gone. On stormy days (that's 90% of the time) we're lucky to get two to three hours of daylight. :lol:

September 22nd, 2019, 6:36 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Interior light modification
Jonathan wrote:
turbofiat124 wrote:

You lucky bastards in the UK. You get about 2 to 3 more hours of sunlight in the summer than we do!

I live on the most northerly of the Shetland Islands, so the most northerly island in the British Isles, and we get what the locals call "da simmer dim" at midsummer. Sunrise is 3:30am and sunset is 10:40pm. It just doesn't get dark. I can sit and read a book at 1am without any artificial light.

On the downside, winters are far harsher than anywhere else in the UK. The sun doesn't rise until 9:15am, and by 2:40pm it's gone. On stormy days (that's 90% of the time) we're lucky to get two to three hours of daylight. :lol:

When I was in Inverness in July or August I was amazed that I could still see the horizon over the highlands at midnight. I had never witnessed something like that. I was hoping I might get to see some Northern lights but never did.

Also noted, it seems the closer you are to the equator, the quicker the sun rises and sets. The first day I was in the UK (London), when the sun started to set, it would take hours before it got totally dark. I think it finally set around 10:30 pm.

Also note that August in Scotland feels like November here.

Where I live (36 parallel) is when the sun starts to set, it's dark within 45 minutes at 9:30 pm on June 21st and daylight around 6:00 am. Something like that.

Yeah I was aware of the trade off in hours between summer and winter. Winter is cloudy and gloomy anyway so what's a few hours less sunlight in the winter matter anyway?

September 26th, 2019, 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2