View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Idea to cure starting after hot soaks 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Idea to cure starting after hot soaks
Roger V wrote:
@turbofiat124

Sounds like your X1/9 had heat soak. The inlet air temperature (IAT) sensor was warming up with latent heat from the engine and causing the mix to go lean.

On the 2CV, dont forget, the coil can be an issue with hot starts.

I installed one of those resin filled Harley Davidson coils that was recommended. Along with 8mm plug wires and I have a 123 electronic ignition (previous owner installed). It made no difference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGQS9HYWnrh0jWztWzfnWKPtMcF47-hb/view?usp=sharing

September 16th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

jasu wrote:
And, forgot to mention. Do not compare total different cars to each other. Or, just try to think why Your 2CV doesn't use as much fuel as Your -68 Ford... 8-)

A different solutions have different behavior... (And yes, I have made that comparing also, but tried to explain why their behavior isn't same)

I know what your saying but all these cars with carburetors seem to exhibit the same symptoms. Except for the MGB for some reason...

September 16th, 2019, 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

How is your battery?

The reason I ask is, I thought I had a good battery, until I left the lights on for a week, and the battery wouldn't take a charge after that. When I fitted a new battery, the difference was huge. It would start much better than before. :)

September 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm
Firing on two.

I insulated the fuel line from the pump to the carb. I don't know if this will help but it can't hurt. That's where the say most of the heat soaking in fuel lines comes from.

It's 30C right now. That's usually where I start having issues trying to start the car when hot.

At least my 2CV doesn't (has never or yet to) vapor lock on me while idling in drive thrus like my Ford has done. That sucks.

Attachments:
IMG_20190918_141125361-1209x1612.jpg
IMG_20190918_141125361-1209x1612.jpg [ 386.03 KiB | Viewed 4250 times ]

September 18th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

for the 2CV, look up Hot start in Technical forum. I tried all sorts of things, new coil from Mehariclub, twin battery, one for the coil, one for the starter, air filter, easy start around the pivots of the butterfly shaft, compression test when hot.

And you know what fixed it - A "Dry Coil" from ECAS UK - different from the French ones. I have now had more than a year without issues and its been 40 deg C plus on some days. Winter cold starts OK as well.

Can't help with your particular problem though.

September 21st, 2019, 3:09 pm
Firing on two.

bobh wrote:
for the 2CV, look up Hot start in Technical forum. I tried all sorts of things, new coil from Mehariclub, twin battery, one for the coil, one for the starter, air filter, easy start around the pivots of the butterfly shaft, compression test when hot.

And you know what fixed it - A "Dry Coil" from ECAS UK - different from the French ones. I have now had more than a year without issues and its been 40 deg C plus on some days. Winter cold starts OK as well.

Can't help with your particular problem though.

The coil I installed was supposed to be a resin filled coil.

Too early to tell since it's not as hot as it has been but the engine is not that particularly hard to start after a hot soak after adding the insulation wrap around the fuel hose.

One of the things that is supposed to help with this heat soak is to place a Phenolic plastic spacer between the carburetor and intake manifold.

The pre-cut carb spacers for V8 engines are a little pricey but the uncut material itself is not. I could buy a chunk of this stuff and make one myself and see if it helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-Canvas-Phe ... SwyZ5UrCNS

Wonder how thick I could make thing?

September 21st, 2019, 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

You should already have the phenolic insulation, its standard! Take a look. :)

September 21st, 2019, 10:25 pm
Firing on two.

Im one of those lucky people who has a 2cv that 'just works'. Be it -12 or 40 it'll start, stop and go without issue and do it all day long.

September 21st, 2019, 11:32 pm
Firing on two.

Sam

That shows its achievable :D

September 22nd, 2019, 10:52 am
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
Im one of those lucky people who has a 2cv that 'just works'. Be it -12 or 40 it'll start, stop and go without issue and do it all day long.

I'm lucky like that too ...mine starts 1st time every time.
Unless :? :roll: .....one touches the accelerator pedal, in which case it just will not start.
:lol: ...Much to embarrassment of my usual MOT tester, who, after me driving it into the workshop and onto the ramps, took it on himself to attempt to reverse it out of the garage... :lol: :lol: :lol:

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

September 23rd, 2019, 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next