View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 78  Next
 Van repairs 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Van repairs
Only one flamin' good weld required if extending the inner though :) , and less chance of imbalance I reckon.
I have two scrap inners from the Ebay Dyane engine and gearbox.

Seeing how I'm trying to sell it as is though, is it worth the hassle when what I'd really like to do iskeep it and upgrade to 602cc. I can't make up my mind 'cos that means big forever changes: eg. 12 volt, loss of original speedo, flaming about with the exhaust etc.etc. Part of me thinks it should stay as it is, and the dark side of me thinks Flame it! get it up to speed :) . Anyway, I'm off to the Algarve on Sunday for a couple of weeks so I'll give it some more thought. I'm sure Daisy has an opinion on it :lol: . ('sell it and plough the money into the Ruin over there :shock: ).

cheers Fer and Ken for the valuable advice...and Geert who is in a happy place, troubled only by rodents :mrgreen: .

March 21st, 2019, 7:58 pm
Firing on two.

:mrgreen: speedo will stay, even an BMW engine see Geo's car. Braking system will be a bit more work. Suspension don't know if it can handle the heavier engine.
Other poss, alter the carburation as they did in the 50s. Or go to an 425 18HP engine from the 60s. Think about it in the sun... :ugeek:

March 21st, 2019, 8:16 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

AZL and Rob,
I guess that you didn't read the text accompaying that photograph on Flickr? ;)
Fwiw, I've just remembered that Louis Barbour did this on his 4x4 conversions, fitted with later driveshafts, to limit the chances of the inners and outers becoming separated as a result of their extreme ride height and those machines take some hammer....
"Extended droop stops, as a temporary solution to the dangerous setup which was in place when this van was imported from France. "

AZL57 wrote:
I did some measurements. The new one is about 35mm shorter than the old one. The splined portion of the new one is about 2cm longer. Would it be an option to alter the bumpstops, put them a bit higher.

Last edited by ken on March 21st, 2019, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2019, 8:49 pm
Firing on two.

Thank you Fer :) I did read the flickr text and noted that the bumpstop alteration was temporary/emergency/get you home but flamin' fix it properly :) .
extending the inner would sort it, when cornering hard you'd need that extra 35mm. :mrgreen:

AZL57 wrote:
I did some measurements. The new one is about 35mm shorter than the old one. The splined portion of the new one is about 2cm longer. Would it be an option to alter the bumpstops, put them a bit higher.

March 21st, 2019, 10:31 pm
Firing on two.

My 2 splines worth

Attachment:
DSC00331.jpg
DSC00331.jpg [ 287.08 KiB | Viewed 5269 times ]

March 22nd, 2019, 1:01 pm
Firing on two.

Yep, that's extended! Cheers Pete.
Plenty to think about... :) .
It'd be easier just to buy an Acadiane.

March 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Think the other way round.... Put a metal tube 20x20mm or big bolt and some nuts underneath the frontarm stops at the chassis ..
so you shorten the down-travel of the arms, so the driveshafts dont fall apart.. Clever eh..

And it cost next to nothing..

This is standard on a Ami (bumpstops) so why not at your car..

When I jack the front wheels I always put something underneath the front stops so the tyre comes immidiatly of the ground (to change tyres for instance)

Russ

March 22nd, 2019, 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks Geo, this is what makes this site great all the expertise and advice freely given :) I've just got to make up my mind which way to go :!:
One thing is clear, the flamer needs better driveshafts for my applications up here in the hills, needs more power too, but then they all do don't they :mrgreen: .

March 23rd, 2019, 12:18 am
Firing on two.

I'm just following in the footsteps of giants but in the dark, this kind of stuff was done decades ago by many, more intuitive engineers: and they are still at it today. :D
This flaming A series thing though, once it gets hold of you,it's a devil to shake off. :mrgreen:

March 23rd, 2019, 12:51 am
Firing on two.

Phew! Two weeks holiday with six visitors.
A new roof on outdoor compost lav. and rebuilt the other bread oven, roofed it with salvaged Roman tiles from the old house, fired it up for the obligatory Pizzas. Return flight delayed, ran down the road from Cardiff airport to where the car was to try and avoid parking charge excess...failed :lol: . Got back home at 02.00 am. house was 9* C, nice!
Overslept Monday morning, don't tell my boss.
Afterwards, jumped into van to go food shopping, total success,fired up no problemo: on the way back, shopping bags tipped over after enthusiastic cornering and guess what? the eggs and the wine survived. I'll take that as a win :mrgreen: .
Daisy's still out there until June, I'm cream crackered.
Only saw one A series, a 2cv and that was parked up in Loule.

April 10th, 2019, 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 78  Next