View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Now I know! 
Firing on two.

Post Now I know!
I'm still around. I just haven't posted in awhile.

I parked my 2CV in my garage and it's been sitting there in one spot since the weather turned nasty back in November. But it's starting to get warmer and will be time to get all of my old cars out.

November of last year I acquired a 1977 MGB roadster. The body is solid, paint is good, top and interior are good. No rust at all. But the mechanics were in really bad shape. No brakes, botched repairs, every seal that can leak oil does!

This maybe common knowledge but I had no idea there was a difference in fuses and I tend to believe the 2CV uses the same type of "slow blow" fuse the MGB does. Is this true? The MGB uses the 17.5/35 amp (slow blow) fuses.

When I got my 2CV there was a pack of BUSS fuses called "European". HMMM, they look like the same fuse used on older American cars before everybody went to the ATO type. What's the difference?

I ended up installing a new fuse box and replaced the fuses with 7.5 and the single 15 amp American fuses. I believe the correct fuses for the 2CV are 8 and 16. Well there are no 8 and 16 amp fuses in the North American glass type fuse. Those tend to come in odd number increments.

But I have never blown a fuse on 2CV.

I also wondered why the headlamps on the 2CV were unprotected. I'm thinking, "who does that?". After unraveling some electrical tape around the wiring harness in the engine compartment I discovered my 2CV had been involved in some electrical fire. I had to repair that. I didn't like the previous owner's repair. I'm not sure if one of the headlight wires got too hot and melted then spread to the other wires or what. I also replaced all of those dodgy looking bullet connectors and the earths.

Just to be on the safe side I wired in some fuse-able links instead of inline fuses for the headlamps. Reason being I installed a thermal wrap around the wiring harness and these just fit better than in-line fuses.

So I discovered the MGB's headlamps are not protected either. Why is that?

Here is an article by Moss motors that explains it. I'm not sure if I agree with the logic of the trade off between blowing a fuse and driving with one headlamp versus being able to see with a dim headlamp just long enough to pull off to a breakdown lane while the wiring harness is catching fire.

http://www.mossmotoring.com/moss-tech-1 ... our-fuses/

March 15th, 2019, 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: Now I know!
now I know too... :roll:

Russ

March 15th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]