View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 My Red Special 
Firing on two.

Post Re: My Red Special
No worries :)

September 14th, 2018, 10:24 am
Firing on two.

I was with the car so ran it to check the valve covers weren't leaking or anything. I thought a little gentle idling might be good for the sealant to be strong.

Popped the bits and pieces back on, which put a smile on my face. I do love tinkering with this little machine, they really are brilliant aren't they. I worked out the other night I'd done the trip back home to South Devon from Reading, about 174 times in this little car. All at max speed, and it still runs so nicely! It's carried some impressive loads too.

Anyhow it sounds very lovely driving but still a slight smell. I suppose this tells me that the replacement cylinder head that's on it because of the exhaust studs, probably needs lapping.
In which case I should either do that, or put the original one back on after getting the ruined studs sorted out. I'm very tempted by that option.

I'll see how it goes, I'm thinking it'll be fine for the winter if I remove the heater tube from the offending side. I'll at least have half heating, which would be an upgrade from the hot water bottle gloves and blanket I had to use last year. (Really, haha.)

September 15th, 2018, 12:00 am
Firing on two.

Another year, another MOT test. It sailed through as always, although the emissions were shockingly high after my fiddling yesterday. Luckily we managed to get it better.

Even they were impressed at the mighty Deuche.

October 25th, 2018, 8:15 pm
Firing on two.

500 miles in foul weather. Comfortable, bizarrely smooth as usual and had many admirers on the motorway. Hehe.

Unfortunately my exhaust manifold started leaking again, but the car was an absolute champ on the country roads with heavy rain and wind.

Did have to pull over from the motorway as had been doing max(ish) speed and it started to falter. I looked at my glass fuel filter and it had not much fuel in it. Seems like when flat out its not getting quite enough fuel. I'll check it out soon but for the rest of the journey I stuck to 65mph max and no problems.

January 26th, 2019, 9:56 pm
Firing on two.

That exhaust leak is that stripped thread if I recall!

January 28th, 2019, 12:28 am
Firing on two.

Yes indeed Roger. I fixed it 3x and then got a professional in. It did it again. Then I tried refitting it with high temperature sealant and it lasted until full throttle to Devon. I dont care any more so its OK, hehe. I'll get around to it, it still manages to be a great driving car. Oddly torquey really I often think, for such a weeny motor.

And my other cars are V8's, lol.

January 28th, 2019, 12:58 am
Firing on two.

Drove the red rabbit to Vince at 'Deux Chevaux et Charrette Ltd' In High Wycombe. Steve Hill is the partner? Familiar name actually.

I had given up on my stupid never ending exhaust stud saga so I got the professionals in! Haha. I've gone standard exhaust now - I had the Louis Barbour crossbox which does seem to give it more torque, but to cover the raspy noise I put a cherry bomb on the back. It was funny, but It's so quiet now!

Now my exhaust is the teeniset tinest little pea shooter again, and it sounds lovely.

Lovely drive home. Glad I've discovered a helping hand not too far way for when I can't get something done. Vince basically did Timesert style things for the endless exhaust manifold leak, which is what I was after. But he uses a bolt, cuts the head off and drills out the centre to tap. Genius.

I have a very slight blow from the head on one side where it needs lapping I think, but otherwise I could smell trees and niceness driving home, instead of gross fumes.

Yay.

July 6th, 2019, 12:29 am
Firing on two.

Joy of joys, I picked it up and it's so quiet now. Money well spent, I am loving it. Drove it to Brighton and I could smell trees and flowers. What a lovely little car it is again.

It's had Timeserts so should be fine forever. I hope. And I've gone standard exhaust throughout. That lovely little pea shooter, haha.

July 12th, 2019, 10:53 am
Firing on two.

Good to hear.

Time Serts are they like a Helicoil but solid?

Are they still M7 or did they go to M8?

July 12th, 2019, 11:55 am
Firing on two.

Thanks Pete. As to sizing, I don't know, but he made his own actually, he cuts the head off a bolt after tapping a thread for it. And drills through th ebolt to make the new thread. Genius really.

But yeah basically a Heli-Coil type of solution but tis a solid piece of metal not a coil that you wind in.

July 13th, 2019, 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next