View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 more power 
2CV Fan

Post more power
so my AZ250 has been fitted with a Visa engine and Dyane gearbox so It sits at 65mph and will do 70 but not so happy.
so what's the next move?
BMW sounds great but maybe too far
Turbo looks a lot of work and maybe too difficult there isn't much info available
VGS looks dear!
whay do you think?

May 16th, 2018, 9:49 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: more power
I suspect its an aerodynamic issue. From what I've heard, a BMW engine will rev higher and therefore allow you to go faster, but the economy will suffer and higher gearing can be difficult to achieve.

How fast do you want to go? :)

Edit

Fuel injection may squeeze a bit more power out of it. :D

May 16th, 2018, 10:34 pm
2CV Fan

So we all want our A seies to got faster, why ?, the cheaper route is to buy a more moden vehicle IMHO , been through the need for speed many years back with overboring 602 barrels ,indeed the low speed torque went up slightly , but due to the added piston weight the BHP didn’t improve as much as expected , I found the speed key was in carb jetting and exhaust , to the point I got blue lighted at 88 mph hour at 3 am on the M3 , now I just run my 75 2cv with Dyane engine mated with a disk braked 2cv gearbox ,

May 17th, 2018, 3:02 am
2CV Fan

I have to agree I suppose But to be able to sit at 70 and not go down to 40 on hills which could be dangerous is my desire so a bit more power/torque is needed Its the aerodynamics of a van thats the problem, I dont want to change that.

May 17th, 2018, 7:38 am
Firing on two.

Is the framework of the car up to it. Crash survivability goes down, you will be un-insured etc etc. Stick with what you have and enjoy the car for what it is - a vintage museum piece !

May 17th, 2018, 8:29 am
Firing on two.

To maintain a higher speed you would be better off with a 2cv gearbox rather than a Dyane. You wont have the same top end speed you have now, but you will be able to maintain the speed more easily. :)

May 17th, 2018, 9:51 am
Firing on two.

The 'danger' comes not from the lack of speed of your car/van, but the desires of 'more speed' of others which motor manufacturers are only too willing to pander to, and no matter how fast your car can be made to go with the limitations on engine size and designed performance of all the component parts such as brakes suspension and stability - there will always be someone wanting to pass - human nature does not change that much.

In the grand plan of things, they will not get much further along the road than the humble 2cv, and you may even pass them when they are wrapped around some street furniture or under an artic.

But if you want more power to carry on up hills and motorways at a higher speed - get something else.

May 17th, 2018, 10:46 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Kit,
maybe start with the easiest option, which is rejetting the carburettor?
If yours still has its original jets, that's a change which is long overdue anyway... ;)
Ken

May 18th, 2018, 12:48 am
2CV Fan

I'm not after speed for speeds sake otherwise I'd just go BMW.
It's the ability to maintain speed up hill and maybe to "keep up" with modern traffic. I have no intention to want to "barry around". My "to work" car is a 1.0 ltr AX not fast. ( Hazel drives the Subaru ) interesting that a 2cv gearbox would suit better. We often travel with Daras and Louisa who have the same setup Visa and AK350 but with a 2cv box and he pulls away from me on hills and is faster on the flat, so maybe I need to change the gearbox.
Ken any ideas on jets I have a standard twinchoke 2cv carb.

May 19th, 2018, 11:43 am
Firing on two.

kitwhite wrote:
..... We often travel with Daras and Louisa who have the same setup Visa and AK350 but with a 2cv box and he pulls away from me on hills and is faster on the flat, so maybe I need to change the gearbox.
Ken any ideas on jets I have a standard twinchoke 2cv carb.

Actually Kit, although I've got 2cv ratios, I've got a Dyane final drive, so the spacing between the gears is more even than a Dyane but all the gears are a bit higher than a 2cv. I only tend to use my AK350 for World meetings, French & German Nationals etc, so it's heavily laden (with about twice the weight of a normal load of camping stuff). Unladen or with a light load, this gearbox set-up is fine but fully laden I've decided that a standard 2cv gearbox would be better, (to help me maintain reasonable speeds up hills etc, particularly on dual-carriageways etc).
I have the Visa carb and air filter, plus forced air, with standard Visa jetting, and would also be interested in anyone's experience with other jets, with this set up. (The trouble is I don't know which of the 3 Visa engines/camshafts I have, as it came as a bare recon 'Vege' unit, with no engine plate).

May 19th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next