View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My thoughts and worries about cars 
2CV Fan

Post My thoughts and worries about cars
been around the A series Citroens for 44 years , they have served me well, especially in my poverty stricken youth ( nothing much has changed on the poverty but my hair has turned grey, )
I run as my favourite sunny day cruising car my 1975 2CV 4 light 602 cc with the later disk gearbox/brakes , it is road tax free and registered by the DLVA as a historic vehicle , now I read from the 20th of May this year it will not require a annual MOT,
It’s MOT runs out in mid June , indeed thanks DLVA another £50 saved , but my,thought of some hot +100 mph tyre smoking 70s cars will also not be tested worries me, any thoughts opinions on this ? ,
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

May 11th, 2018, 10:36 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: My thoughts and worries about cars
My worry is this:

My everyday car is a 1988 D*lly that I happily cruise around in.
A local chap has a '1955' car... discs, 602, etc...

I need an MOT to do 75mph. He doesn't. This scares me.

May 11th, 2018, 11:33 pm
Firing on two.

Roco :)
Thanks for posting the info.

Now I need to work out when Bedouin's were in production!

All I know is hearsay that it was late eighties, early nineties.

Can anyone be more precise please?

Thanks
Edit
Sorry Roco, I didn't mean to hijack your topic :oops:

May 12th, 2018, 11:27 am
Firing on two.

To be eligible for exemption from MOT you have to take you V5C to your local VED issuing Post Office and fill in a special DVLA form where you're telling them the car is absolutely original and without any modifications. It'll then have its Class changed to 'Vehicle of Historic Interest' VHI. The car cannot have been altered from factory original at any time within the last 30yrs. That'll stop many late 2CVs from becoming MOT exempt as most are now sitting on an after-market galvanised chassis, or had an engine and/or gearbox swap. The new rules will also affect pre-1960 vehicles which have been MOT exempt for the past 5-yrs or so. When the time to re-tax an 'Historic Vehicle' approaches then owners will have to visit their local VED issuing PO and go through the same process as 1960-1977 vehicles and be re-Classed as VHIs. If they do not meet the new requirements for MOT exemption (even though they do at the moment) they will lose that 'benefit' and will be required to be MOTed every year. It's all very messy.

You can, of course, decide to continue with having your car MOTed every year. Probably not a bad idea.

May 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm
2CV Fan

Roger V wrote:
Roco :)
Thanks for posting the info.
Now I need to work out when Bedouin's were in production!
All I know is hearsay that it was late eighties, early nineties.
Can anyone be more precise please?
Thanks
Edit
Sorry Roco, I didn't mean to hijack your topic :oops:

No prob about hijacking my post mate , been a member here for some years,still look in every day , but don't post often ,
could post more I guess , hot starting ? been through that some years back,
fuel evaparation ? , I store my 2CV through the winter , come a spring restart a teaspon full of petrol helps , and a double celibratory best malt fires us both up :mrgreen: daily hot starts ? a new resin coil has sorted that with both contactor/electronic systems ,

May 12th, 2018, 8:19 pm
2CV Fan

Jonathan wrote:
To be eligible for exemption from MOT you have to take you V5C to your local VED issuing Post Office and fill in a special DVLA form where you're telling them the car is absolutely original and without any modifications. It'll then have its Class changed to 'Vehicle of Historic Interest' VHI. The car cannot have been altered from factory original at any time within the last 30yrs. That'll stop many late 2CVs from becoming MOT exempt as most are now sitting on an after-market galvanised chassis, or had an engine and/or gearbox swap. The new rules will also affect pre-1960 vehicles which have been MOT exempt for the past 5-yrs or so. When the time to re-tax an 'Historic Vehicle' approaches then owners will have to visit their local VED issuing PO and go through the same process as 1960-1977 vehicles and be re-Classed as VHIs. If they do not meet the new requirements for MOT exemption (even though they do at the moment) they will lose that 'benefit' and will be required to be MOTed every year. It's all very messy.
You can, of course, decide to continue with having your car MOTed every year. Probably not a bad idea.

indeed the confusion continues , hence my posts title. my 75 2cv built in 74 now road tax free via the post office that retained my log book, it eventualy got returned by DLVA
as a historic vehicle . althogh it has a later disk braked gearbox ,
I think the clue is in original replacement parts in my starting post ,
BTW my 2cv has the O.E. orignal reinforced chassis , I guard it withmy life and Waxoyl , don't use it on salted roads , and these days if it's raining :o

May 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan
Not completely original, some changes are eligible by my interpretation! I would for example suggest that drums to disk brakes would be ok. 652 engine would fit criteria as well. :)

May 12th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Firing on two.

Love the MOT I do, not looking forward to meeting this flamer coming towards me though :roll:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-se ... 0009.m1982

May 12th, 2018, 9:58 pm
2CV Fan

Indeed my 75 2cv no longer requires a MOT,
but the onus is now on me to keep it roadworthy,
been looking back on it’s MOT history on line
it failed once , had to smile when given the failure certificate
Date tested 29 April 2014
Fail
Mileage 68,895 miles
Test location unavailable until further notice
Reason(s) for failure
• Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
• Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
:roll:

May 21st, 2018, 11:22 pm
Firing on two.

And THAT is why old cars are becoming exempt from testing. Most modern testers haven't got a bloody clue about old cars.

Any kind of fluid leak (tiny oil leak) is now a fail for environmental pollution reasons. Many older cars suffer from oil leaks, and did so when brand spanking new, so how on Earth are they expected to pass this new, much harsher, MOT test? Remember, if a pre-1960 car that was exempt before Sunday is now deemed to be no longer eligible for exemption, it'll have to be absolutely oil tight to pass. I'd like to see how it's possible to stop a 1920s engine from pissing oil out of various orifices. :roll:

May 22nd, 2018, 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next