View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mounting rear lap belts 
Firing on two.

Post Mounting rear lap belts
Sorry this is a crappy photo but in the boot there are two bolts and two threaded holes:

Can someone tell me if these are for mounting rear lap belts?

Anybody got a good photo?

Since the rear seat is sort of in one peace, it looks like the male ends would need to go further toward the rear wheel arches.

I realize this would not pass an MOT in the UK but I considered doing the same thing as I did in my Trabant by simply wrapping the ends around the bar in the boot and tieing them in a knot:

But there is no bar in the boot of a 2CV.

Also this probably belongs in the flea market section but it appears I am missing a catch for the rear seat:

Any of you guys have one of these (along with the hard to find M7 bolts) you would be willing to sell me and ship to the USA? Or know of any 2CV breaker yards in the UK that might have one?

Even if it's not the right color or a bit rusty. I can sandblast it and hit it with black spray paint.

October 1st, 2016, 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Mounting rear lap belts
They should not be painted. Strangely they are held in with M6 bolts (not M7).
I'm looking at your photos on my phone so it's difficult to see but the inner mounting points for the rear lap belts are threaded holes accessible under the back of the rear seat. The outer ones are threaded holes at the front of each inner wing/fender, just being the C-pillar. They tend to rust in this area, so if rear seat belts were not required at the time of a previous repair, these threaded holes may not be there. Like the front ones, the thread in these holes is imperial, not metric: They are the standard thread and size for seat belt mountings in all cars for european markets (at least). From memory, I think it's 7/16x20tpi.
Earlier 2CVs had no built-in rear seatbelt mounting points.

October 2nd, 2016, 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The only two photos I have in my possession of the inner wing with the seat belt mounting in position at the lower front just behind the rear door. Sorry for the piss poor quality, I must have been on something strong that day. :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

October 2nd, 2016, 5:22 pm
Firing on two.

Here's some possibly useful images on Google Search. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2cv+r ... Gw#imgrc=_

October 2nd, 2016, 5:25 pm
Firing on two.

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/seat-belt ... -1047.html

October 2nd, 2016, 6:24 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
Here's some possibly useful images on Google Search. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2cv+r ... Gw#imgrc=_

Most of those show non-standard fittings / mounting points!

October 2nd, 2016, 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Update:

Well it seemed easier than I thought. I had some extra time yesterday and mounted them (if correctly).

I used the center threaded holes for the buckle ends. Funny the bolts that came with the belts screwed right in!

I found these threaded holes beside the seats. I was able to use some Allen head bolts in my metric bolt box I collect from Fiats/Yugos I've dismantled. They are used to hold the windshield frame to the body. Some oddball size/thread pitch. Like 10MM with a fine pitch thread.

So did I get it right?

October 3rd, 2016, 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

chevrons2 wrote:
.......Like the front ones, the thread in these holes is imperial, not metric: They are the standard thread and size for seat belt mountings in all cars for european markets (at least). From memory, I think it's 7/16x20tpi.....
turbofiat124 wrote:
.... Funny the bolts that came with the belts screwed right in!........
..... I was able to use some Allen head bolts in my metric bolt box I collect from Fiats/Yugos I've dismantled. They are used to hold the windshield frame to the body. Some oddball size/thread pitch. Like 10MM with a fine pitch thread......
They are the standard size for seatbelts, and are imperial, not metric).

Just checked: They are 7/16x20. If M10s fit yours, someone must have changed them. In which case, I would check to see if they welded in the strengthening panel to which the 7/16 nut is welded. Without that thicker plate (or with a smaller / lower tensile strength fixing), the seatbelt may not do it's job in a collision.

October 3rd, 2016, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The threaded holes toward the center underneath the seat do appear to be Imperial. Just guessing the kit came with Imperial nuts/bolts.

The holes I used for the other ends of the belts (the Allen head bolts) did seem to be metric.

Wonder why Citroen use Imperial bolts on these particular bolt holes?

That sounds like something American car companies would do! Seems like all Ford products built since the early 90s are all metric but GM vehicles seem to have a mixture of metric and Imperial fasteners depending upon who they got to make the part for them.

Chrysler uses those star head fasteners which suck.

Thank God American companies never used Whitworth fasteners!

October 3rd, 2016, 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

turbofiat124 wrote:
Wonder why Citroen use Imperial bolts on these particular bolt holes?

Because the thread is standard for seatbelts. Please, read the answers you have tp your questions...

October 3rd, 2016, 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next