View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Long term project, Dyane4x4 
Firing on two.

Post Long term project, Dyane4x4
I have a dream. A four wheel drive Dyane. Have had that dream about two decades, dreaming started when inspecting a broken gearbox and when looking (enough, too much?) how it was made I found it could be "easy" to make it...

Ok, first parts was made in 1997 and some days ago I had my first driving experience with...

Of course, first what is needed, is vision, about how to make it. When I had made planning, I had a pleasure to talk with mr. Barbour at Dutch World Meeting at -97. Then it was clear I had "invented" it right, nearly same as he did...

So, there is some of the first parts. 50 mm extended mainshaft and new rear "bearing cap" to gearbox. mounting like GS and AmiSuper gearbox.

Closer look about mounting

Some photos of making rear arms. I made a jig where to weld them, using rear and front arms so the placement of rear wheel doesn't move. The wheel alignment succeed well, about 2mm toe-in and zero camber...

And this is where my 4x4 differs from (any?) other buildings, a viscous-coupling between front and rear...

The visco is from WV Transporter Syncro, so is the propeller shaft. Those parts can be a little bit overkill, from Golf would be better but much harder to find from here...

Fuel lines, brake line and rear drive controlling are placed with propeller shaft. The lever is from Bx as is the control cable (ride height lever and automatic gearshift cable)

The front brakes are from GSA and rear brakes are 2CV6 front disc brakes. Now I have possibility to have hand brake on both end if I want. Front brake calibers needed an adaptor, those were easy to make from 13mm hard aluminium, and brake discs needed to drill to 2CV bolt pattern...

Battery is relative small, reason is the weight what is really needed to keep as low as possible for MOT, only to have all four seats. After that, no-one put that car on scale... And yes, I have heard a lot of questions is that size battery enough to crank the engine, but when I ask how this can be enough even big Harleys, I don't have to explain that more...

Oh, there is lots of to do before taking her to MOT, but it is quite near. Need to do all lights to work, some welding to body and take the supercharger away. With that there could be too much for the MOT inspector... :lol:

After some testdriving, nothing has broken, everything on transmission works like planned. And because of the viscous, it is possible to have tight turning even on tarmac...

And, as you can see, first photos are before digital camera era, a proof about very long term project...

June 24th, 2016, 9:34 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Long term project, Dyane4x4
From what vehicle did you get the Viscous coupling????

June 24th, 2016, 9:54 am
Firing on two.

WV T4 Transporter Syncro, I believe it was -94 but not sure.

June 24th, 2016, 10:16 am
Firing on two.

About the engine. Some specs..:

-8,5:1 cr pistons
-about 0,5 bar boost
-standard cam
-Aisin AMR300 supercharger
-MegaSquirt II
-Audi 1,8 turbo injectors
-Xantia 2,0 16 valve throttle body with stepper motor idle control
-oil cooler bypass -valve removed
-oil cooler removed (will install bigger cooler but with thermostat)
-four rib serpentine belt instead of V-belt
-7kg lightened flywheel
-180mm GSA clutch
-oil dipstick moved
-Ecas breather
-etc etc

Near all parts had to be altered some way, only crank, cam, cyl heads and oilpump (not yet mod, dry sump in some day) are still standard... More photos of engine here...

June 24th, 2016, 11:44 am
Firing on two.

Speedometer "problem" is also another story. I didn't like to have three meter long speedo cable, so why not go electric..?

Sensor from Harley Davidson Sportster, drilled hole trhough the case. Surprising, it doesn't leak...

Tested by rotating the sensor, how it should be aligned. The best position, it could read teeth near 20mm distance...

Testing, testing. When I get the spedo installed to dash, need to verify with GPS. By calculation, it should be accurate enough, less than 10% wrong, but can't be sure now...

Also my kids have been with, learning how these work... They really like to "do something real", so why not have a good time with them and they also learn to use their own hands and brain..?

June 24th, 2016, 12:53 pm
Firing on two.

LOVE IT! Just brilliant.

Megasquirt kit or Prebuilt board?

June 24th, 2016, 2:01 pm
Firing on two.

Fantastic...

Taking it to Portugal?

June 24th, 2016, 4:22 pm
Firing on two.

subarupete wrote:
Megasquirt kit or Prebuilt board?

Kit, can't afraid about electronics, played with near all my life...

Have also played with Megasquirt about eight years on my other Dyane (and Sm and also couple of H-D:s of my friend), so some experience with that may help a little..?

June 24th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Firing on two.

Still much to do before road tests and MOT. Quite a lot has been done...

June 30th, 2016, 11:16 pm
Firing on two.

It has been raining for about week, must to do something before I lost my mind. Or have I lost it yet, can't say for sure when looking my projects...

Made this from sheet metal and piece of tube. For new coupling to fuel filler tube...

It was quite easy to "bend" that, with two thich rings from old clutch assembly and little hammer. And there can be seen the reason why I want to modify my filler...

Also made some kind of dashboard, or at least something where to start. From 3mm aluminium...

And this is how it might look. Gauges are readable even with that small steering wheel so are lights. Need to make mountings, a hole for odometer push-button and put maybe some vinyl to get that shining off from the dash...

July 6th, 2016, 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next