View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Joolz's Red One 

Post Re: Joolz's Red One
Great project and congratulations for your build.

Last edited by fuoriserie on May 12th, 2014, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2014, 11:21 am
Firing on two.

I've been meaning to update this, its been over a year :oops:, but haven't found the time, so the brief summary is:
Forgot to mention it but 'celebrated' 10 years in my ownership last august. Ran out of MOT test in September, and didn't bother trying to get a new one because of the cracked screen. Did nothing with it until a couple of weeks ago, and done very little since.

Finally got a new screen for it last week, have repainted the bonnet stay(it was the first rusty thing you notice when going under the bonnet), and am redoing the big multipurpose bracket that sits on top of the engine. It was never really done properly the first time, the ECU ended up wrapped in a rag and held on with a cable tie.
Not sure if I'll get it back together and MOTed in time for regs day.

On the up side there was negligible rust lurking in the screen surround. :)

Last edited by Joolz on June 30th, 2015, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 30th, 2015, 12:40 am
Firing on two.

Was wondering the other day if you were still around!, good to see you're getting it back on the road! will we see you in Poland?

greetzzzzzzzz

Rusty

June 30th, 2015, 7:33 am
Firing on two.

It should be road legal again soon, however there is still the on going gearbox/oil/clutch/driveshafts issue, that makes it not very good to drive, and I don't think that will get done in time for Poland, so will probably go in the girlfriend's car.

It needs a big decision to be made about which way to go with it, whether to stick with the 5 speed gearbox and move the steering rack, or go back to the 4 speed, raise the gearing with some big tyres, and go raid style.

June 30th, 2015, 8:51 am
Firing on two.

Eh Jules a couple of questions
We shortened the bell housing and flywheel spacer by 10 mm on the Crisis BMW test car
did you ever consider doing that?
and
I take it you tried a 4 speed GSA Box?
Not GS ?

cheers lou

June 30th, 2015, 9:20 pm
Firing on two.

I shortened mine 10mm when I first put it in, it's really tight even with a 4 speed G-type 'box. The long ratio GSA 4 speed is an option, but I feel its a bit of a compromise, the 5th gear is definitely an advantage.

July 1st, 2015, 6:53 pm
Firing on two.

Finally put the new screen in it, but not before finding another hole to weld up.

Have to say I get irritated by the fixing points for the exterior fastening roofs that are still present on the late cars, they're just a pointless rust trap, and I can't begin to understand why people drill them off the old panels and weld them onto the new ones when replacing windscreen surrounds and rear light panels.

Anyway I took the opportunity to grind one of the front ones off, I knew there would be rust behind it, but perhaps I thought that by knowing so I would double bluff it and there wouldn't. There was, and I had to weld a patch in the hole. Maybe I'll do the other side at sometime, or maybe I won't.

Also discovered the silencer is all cracked around one end, so that'll need welding for an MOT.

July 13th, 2015, 1:17 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Joolz,
don't worry, some of us do get rid of them... ;)

Joolz wrote:
Have to say I get irritated by the fixing points for the exterior fastening roofs that are still present on the late cars, they're just a pointless rust trap, and I can't begin to understand why people drill them off the old panels and weld them onto the new ones when replacing windscreen surrounds and rear light panels.

July 13th, 2015, 1:32 am
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:

because they are the finishing plate for the C section that forms the main hoop of the roof not only do they cover up the open end but they then form a spreader plate to counteract the stress raiser that would arise if it were just to be stopped on the flat panel.IIRC proper built cars had them braized as well as spotted on - something Citroen did on quite a few critical joints, superseeded by PU seam sealant applied by the bucket load.

July 13th, 2015, 7:57 am
Firing on two.

So I finally got started! The front's stripped, the engine's out, everything's filthy. How can something with such an oil leak be rusty as well?!

Can I get it done in time for Anglesey? My guess is I'll get it 95% done, then spend to long dicking around with something minor and run out of time to get an MOT.

August 15th, 2015, 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next