View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Gobi project 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Gobi project
tweecv12pk wrote:
Robcap wrote:
Ilikitalot!
At the moment enjoying my 2 wheel drive sahala lookalike(ish) 2cv. Might install a Quaife diff. Going to make a nice set of bumpers. Did some serious greenlaning in the Ardennes yesterday, and I'm hooked !!!

Quaife diff seems to be good. it is a limited slip diff. How to build an 100% lockable diff?

Speak to Louis Barbour. He makes 100% DiffLocks!

December 2nd, 2014, 11:53 am

4x4 SuperFinn wrote:
tweecv12pk wrote:
Robcap wrote:
Ilikitalot!
At the moment enjoying my 2 wheel drive sahala lookalike(ish) 2cv. Might install a Quaife diff. Going to make a nice set of bumpers. Did some serious greenlaning in the Ardennes yesterday, and I'm hooked !!!

Quaife diff seems to be good. it is a limited slip diff. How to build an 100% lockable diff?

Speak to Louis Barbour. He makes 100% DiffLocks!

ok

December 2nd, 2014, 8:33 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

So tweecv12pk at last I'm wiggling in here.. There are a few tricky things building a Sahara..

The easiest is to miror the Crown-wheel so you've got 4 speed reverse.. you already solved this I have read...

Another thing is you need to make two C plates in feont and at the back of the gearbox mountings, so the gearboxes and engines can not move forward or backwards when shifting gears.. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

With two C plates the engines (and gearboxes) can only rotate but not going forward or backwards, this is very important otherwise you can never shift the gearboxes decently...

The most important things are the movements of the 3 gearlevers going to the front and back... they need to go either both in or both out and at last the front left lever needs to be connected with the rear right lever and the front right lever needs to be connected with the rear left lever... Ofcourse the middle lever stays at the middle..
Now I made this on my own and after a year or so I had the opportunity to look at an Original Sahara... surprisingly Citroen solved the problem just the same like I (we)did. :D :D :D :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) so try to solve it at your own, it will be quite a challenge...

The only thing I didn't like was the independend operation of both engines going up a steep slope..... The rear engine would starve while the front engine was revving high, so if I was you I would make a connection between the 2 gearboxes by a propshaft and then your almost unbeatable... I have won quite a few trails with my Sahara competing against Land Rovers, Range Rovers, Landcruisers and Mercedes Gay..... Only those little Suzuki's where hard to beat, but luckely they where in another class (smaller then 2m wheelbase)....

Now good luck with your build and don't hesitate to ask questions.....

Have you seen my newest 4x4 build sofar??? http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2301

Russ

December 2nd, 2014, 11:04 pm
Profile WWW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9WJra ... e=youtu.be

]Hello, i solved the problem of the 3 gearlevers. see the movie. My inspiration was the old type ( pre 1970) clutch and brake system.

the system is tube in tube, so you can change movement from left to right. I do not know how the real sahara system works

Last edited by tweecv12pk on December 3rd, 2014, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 3rd, 2014, 9:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9WJra ... e=youtu.be

]Hello, i solved the problem of the 3 gearlevers. see the movie. My inspiration was the old type ( pre 1970) clutch and brake system.

the system is tube in tube, so you can change movement from left to right. I do not know how the real sahara system works

December 3rd, 2014, 9:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH6HTfT ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez8GNRP ... e=youtu.be

this is how you can change between frontwheel or allwheel.

December 3rd, 2014, 9:23 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Nice piece of enginering Henk, looking good, but it can be done much easier... transfer from left to right...
makes a nice cliffhanger... p.s. take a look at my Sahara pics; maybee you discover it...

Also your gearleverbox is very widht... You need at least narrowing it at the front to create space for the throttle pedal and at the rear for the chairs.. (with petrol-tanks underneath???)....

At last, I/(we) can disconnect front engine or rear engine in my/(our) gearleverbox..

Russ

December 3rd, 2014, 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

lpgo wrote:
Nice piece of enginering Henk, looking good, but it can be done much easier... transfer from left to right...
makes a nice cliffhanger... p.s. take a look at my Sahara pics; maybee you discover it...

Also your gearleverbox is very widht... You need at least narrowing it at the front to create space for the throttle pedal and at the rear for the chairs.. (with petrol-tanks underneath???)....

At last, I/(we) can disconnect front engine or rear engine in my/(our) gearleverbox..

I looked almost for a year at your pictures, but could not discover the clue, so for me it is the riddle of the age.

I will narrow the box in front and back. Perhaps i will put the box a little outside center chassis.
And thanks for the tip about the gearbox mountings.

December 3rd, 2014, 9:50 pm

IPGO,
Now i see for the first time the clue.. I focussed on the box, but you made a bridge from left to right and vv in the rods going backwards. Really 2cv style to make complicated systems simply.

But as is, i had a lovely time to figure out and building my system.

December 3rd, 2014, 10:03 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

tweecv12pk wrote:
IPGO,
Now i see for the first time the clue.. I focussed on the box, but you made a bridge from left to right and vv in the rods going backwards. Really 2cv style to make complicated systems simply.

But as is, i had a lovely time to figure out and building my system.

Now that is quick.... you just couldn't let it rest... To be honest my thinking was the same as you did, but at that time (about 20 year ago) I had only a drill,a vice, a jigsaw, and a welder. so the only option was to do it like this (very simple)....... for me it started as a joke (as so many things*) putting it in a twin engined Dyane and it did work so good so we left it that way even in the "real" Sahara Never change a winning team...

p.s. I've built in another thing.... the stroke of the rear-levers is about 1mm more then the stroke of the front-levers, just to overcome some play do to the longer distance to the rear
gearbox, at my(our car) it is badly needed.....

* turbo 2cv, BMW 2cv, 4x4 with propshaft, programmable electronic ignition, converting all my cars to LPG ==> nickname LPGo a.s.o.

Russ

December 3rd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next