View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Around the world 
Firing on two.

Around the world
Hi International 2CV friends, known and unknown.

Since I first attended a worldmeeting, I got hooked. It was an AWESOME experience, and I knew I was not gonna miss a single meeting for the years to come. This was in 2007 in Sweden, and so far so good! :D
But after going to more world meeting's, further away from home, I realized, that what I liked the most was the roadtrip before and after the meetings. And the meeting is more like a great "bonus" during the trip.

So, I have started thinking about a trip around the world. I mean....why not?
This is just a thought at the moment. A dream. I have not done anything active to start planning yet, but I will begin prepping the car during next winter. Even if I never go around the world, it will certainly be other long trips far away from home ;)
It seems there are a lot of knowledge on this forum, people with lot's of experience and years with 2CV's and travels. So I'm hoping for some good advice's. What to think of during the plannings.

Me, I am a 38 year old dude living in Norway. No kids, no wife(no problems?). Worked for many years as a car and motorcycle mechanic. Stopped doing that, and are now working on a ship as a sailor.
I have three 2CV's (and other classic Citroën's, like DS and CX).

So, what I have at the moment for making a trip like this come true is 2CV's(cars and parts), mechanical knowledge, time and money. I will quit my job before the trip. Nothing worst than being on a schedule....stresses me out.

What I want to start with, is planning a route. I'm thinking maybe something like Ewan McGregors Long Way Round -> http://www.longwayround.com/journeys_long-way-round.htm
But might want to go from Mongolia down to Vietnam or something like that, and boat to the west coast of USA. Want to spend like a year on it?

Please, feel free to discuss a 2CV world-trip here, and links to websites, blogs, books whatever :)

Cheers

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

February 10th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Around the world
Welcome!

A nice opportunity for pipe dreams! Especially for one like me, with a wife and two kids!

How about: Oslo> Novosibirsk> Ulaanbaatar> Beijing> Tokyo> Anchorage> Vancouver> San Francisco> Mexico> Guatemala> Honduras> Nicaragua> Costa Rica> Panama> Colombia> Ecuador> Peru> Chile> Argentina> Brazil> Senegal> Mauritania> Morocco> Spain> France> Belgium> Germany> Denmark> Home!

Easy!

February 11th, 2014, 12:36 am
Firing on two.

Thank's for the interest Smiffy. No pipes here, so I hope it's a dream that will happen. I will make it happen ;)

I have spent some time on the web, reading blogs written by people who have done this kind of trip. And it's a lot to read out there!
There are different views on this kind of trip. Some have s strict plan or a mission, other's just want to see the world. Personally, I just want to drive, and see new places.

Some of the things I read in this blogs, may not be up to date with the current situation in the world. Some of the first things to do in planning, is finding a route to drive. This will for sure need to be changed during the trip, but it is necessary to have a plan and read up on the countries that are involved in it.

So far, it seems that China is not a good option. It's very expensive, and difficult, with a car. Also, Australia will take a big chunk of money to visit, so I think it's ruled out.
And personally, I don't have the need to drive in Africa.

So, ruling out places to go is a good start to find the places to go ;)

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

February 18th, 2014, 7:46 pm
Firing on two.

I have always wanted to see how far East I could go but never had the BALLS to do it. Its the safety aspect of it that has always scared me..... As like you Africa - no thank you. After watching Long way down were the guide talks about small children with machine guns who will kill you for a cigarette let alone money or car..... If you do it - GOOD for you, you Lucky man... :) :)

February 18th, 2014, 8:00 pm
Field Plougher

This guy did it, sorry it's in Spanish!!

http://jorgesierraviaje.wordpress.com

Loads of cool photos, one day I want to do it too!

February 18th, 2014, 8:06 pm
Field Plougher

http://jorgesierra.es/galeria/

February 18th, 2014, 8:07 pm
Firing on two.

I'd say there's a lot of 2CVers who'd love to do a trip round the world, me included. Hope you fulfill your dream and have a great time.

March 5th, 2014, 2:56 pm
Firing on two.

Just love the pic 2cv parked next to fat ass yank trailer park pick up.
Little Louis wrote:

March 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Roy Eastwood wrote:
Just love the pic 2cv parked next to fat ass yank trailer park pick up.
Little Louis wrote:

When I was working in Death Valley, they told me to go and get the pickup to follow the test Land Rover for its tests. I expected a UK size pick up but F--k me it was one of those. What a beast - so much torque. The Land Rover was struggling pulling the 3.5 tonnes so I brought it back - within 5 minutes I forgot the extra weight was behind me... :)

March 6th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Hi. Good look with your adventure. We have similar plans to take our Acadiane on long trips after we retire later this year. Our first trip will be from the UK to Turkey and back. For loads of info on visa requirements, temporary vehicle importation and up to date political situations from travelers who are out there doing it now on 2 and 4 wheels see
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

March 9th, 2014, 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next