View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Zero Miles 1990 2CV 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Zero Miles 1990 2CV
Thanks - no wonder I have never seen one. We couldn't find the part in any catalogue we have. I presume I can just wire it out of the circuit if/when it fails?

June 23rd, 2011, 9:42 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

blackjack,
that pad was to soak up any fuel which leaked out of the 'pinhole' in the underside of the manifold.
They were usually removed during the pre-delivery inspection, although now and again one escaped into the wild.
Just pull harder, btw... :lol:

That canister on the front of the engine bearer crossmember is the resistor for the dim dip system.
Plenty of advice around here on how to disable the setup before it cooks the light switch, but maybe keep that 'as new' resistor as a curiosity?

Those last run cars had plenty of recycled tyres pressed into service in an attempt to reduce the 'drive by' decibel level, including a particularly awful full undertray to the engine bay.
The only improvement worth the name is the rubber mounted fan pulley, in my opinion.

ken

( p.s. A few items for quality control. :roll:
Is there an R clip missing from one of the clevis pins on the handbrake linkage?
Are there any lock washers under the 2 nuts at the front of the carb?
Are there 2 locknuts on each rear suspension tie rod and none on the front rods? )

blackjack wrote:
There are a couple of things I've not seen on any 2CV I've owned. A pad of material underneath the intake manifold plenum chamber that is made up of layer of yellow woven nylon (sort of like a scouring pad) on top of a layer of grey felt. It is firmly fixed there and can't be pulled out. There's also what I assume to be a large relay in an aluminium canister down below the fan housing. Is this a late model thing? All my 2CV's were late '70's or earlier and didn't have anything like that.

There are also lots of rubber anti-vibration/anti-rattle fittings that I've never seen before.

June 23rd, 2011, 9:44 pm
Firing on two.

A bit more complicated. You have to remove 2 relays on bulkhead. Bridge 2 connections on one of them. Remove canister and resistor under the dash.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

June 23rd, 2011, 9:46 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Resistor is at the front, that's a diode under the dash. ;)

knightley wrote:
A bit more complicated. You have to remove 2 relays on bulkhead. Bridge 2 connections on one of them. Remove canister and resistor under the dash.

June 23rd, 2011, 9:56 pm
Firing on two.

Silly me. Of course it is. And if you remove it Ken would like it for a project he is contemplating. :D

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:00 pm
Firing on two.

Ken - the diode under the dash just hangs down and swings around by the pedals!!

I noticed the crappy under-tray and lots of other bits of rubber sheet here, there and everywhere. No lock washers under the carb - but I don't know about the other stuff. I did notice that there were no hose clips anywhere - not even on the fuel lines. One of the very few issues was that the bit of rubber petrol pipe from the pump to the carb was hard as a rock so I'm going back in a couple of weeks to replace it and I will take some hose clips with me. I needed to take the rubber snorkel off the carb and it reminded me just how bloodly awful those Citroen substitute for hose clips are.....

I will have a look at the other things you've mentioned then. BTW I'm happy to take pictures on request or report on any aspect of the car for members who want to check originality of their restorations.

Last edited by blackjack on June 23rd, 2011, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:08 pm
Firing on two.

None of them had hose clips on the petrol pipes. They just relied on a tight fit.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:11 pm
Firing on two.

I also got the 2CV that was bought at the same time and run for 10 years as a family hack. That has all the usual problems and it is amazing to see them side by side and think they were delivered on the same day.

Still..... I'm not too worried about a rusty chassis as I will be making a new one, rusty floors aren't an issue as I will cut them out and wobbly kingpins don't matter as it will have an early Ford I beam axle and transverse spring.

I'm going to have a think about what I want to do about the running gear and chassis - I have one or two ideas but then I've got too many projects already. I may offer it on here if anyone is interested.

Last edited by blackjack on June 23rd, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:13 pm
Firing on two.

knightley wrote:
None of them had hose clips on the petrol pipes. They just relied on a tight fit.

Hmmmmm - given the price of a handful s/s clips and the value of the car I think we will sod originality :)

June 23rd, 2011, 10:15 pm
Firing on two.

blackjack wrote:
knightley wrote:

Hmmmmm - given the price of a handful s/s clips and the value of the car I think we will sod originality :)

The difficult piece of hose to replace is the short one on top of the tank connecting the outlet to the nylon tube running along the chassis. And, there is no room for clips.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next