View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Difficult starting, when cold. 
Firing on two.

Post Difficult starting, when cold.
My 2cv is performing a little trick at the moment. When it's been sat and so the engine is cold, it's difficult to start(hence the topic subject name :lol: ). This could be a week or more, or even a few hours(took it to the Halloween Camp on Friday, got there for 2:45pm and when I jumped in and fired it up at 10pm, it was reluctant to start, taking about a minute or so :( )As soon as it fires up, I can kill the engine and it'll start easily. Has no problems when hot and even when sat for a few minutes(when filling the tank) it'll start, so I don't suspect the coil. Any ideas?

Could it be fuel pump? Don't get any other symptoms.

Could it be battery? It's only about 10months old, but the previous one only lasted 8 months(4 yr guarantee :o )but the car will start, eventually(which it didn't before).

Starter motor? I've been told, the coil takes such a small amount of amps, it's should start the engine, even if the starter is taking too much power.

Please help :)

November 3rd, 2009, 8:46 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Difficult starting, when cold.
The valve on the petrol pump lets petrol drain backwards? Although thats only when its been standing for a few weeks.
Try swapping the leads over. If that doesn't work I would try a new starter.

November 3rd, 2009, 8:56 pm
lovin' the snatch

are you running points/condensor or elecy Jonathan?

my engine went from being fine one morning... to 10 minutes of cranking and spluttering... the next... when my points/condensor started failing - when i say points fail i mean they had worn down and the gap was huge but couldnt adjust them... but the condensor was failing as there were some fireworks inside the pointsbox everynow and then which would cause a missfire...

could be them? if you have them?

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

November 4th, 2009, 2:47 am
Firing on two.

It's running with 123ignition, Joe. Had the timing checked earlier, it's slighty retarded, though it's pinking on hills, especially on motorways, could be carbon build up causing it.

I was thinking it may be the ignition barrel, at the back of the ignition lock, but been told it would show up with the fuel gauge dropping, when I try to start it(it doesn't), besides, it would be random then, but it only happens when cold, not hot.

It's also getting worse with the cold weather, was ok in the summer....Unless the problem/fault is recent. :?

November 4th, 2009, 3:15 am
Firing on two.

I'd check the resistance in the HT leads, coil and definitely change the spark plugs.

For my Arctic -24c trips I used iridim plugs and one of Roy's yellow coils and we had no problem starting.

November 4th, 2009, 11:20 am
Firing on two.

Hmmm..I was leaning toward the HT leads, to be honest they are over 4yrs old now, think I bought them at Kelso, so perhaps long overdue for replacement :oops: I'll get that remedied and see what happens...Cheers 8-)

November 4th, 2009, 11:37 am
Firing on two.

Thing is electricity works best when its cold! :lol:
a good service will do wonders so new leads and plugs wont hurt, new oil&filter clean the air filter

clean up the internals of the starter and some light oil on the nose bearing, check all the HD cables from battery to starter and alt. Make sure the alternator charges the battery and isnt leaking current when ignition is off.

also if its retarded and pinking it may be an over weak mixture(but then ive never been a big fan of the 123, on paper the curve is all wrong :P and in practice when fitted to the instructions, it advances too much in some cases)
given we have had some pretty cold and damp weather up here in E.Scotland mine starts on the button with old plugs and 10 yr old leads.assisted points iggy
Sean

November 4th, 2009, 4:00 pm
Firing on two.

tip on starting, Quick turns of the key to starter motor is better than keeping the starter turning and turning. That runs the battery down faster. Quick turns get more power to the plugs and also try foot hard down on the accelerator as this ALWAYS works for us if ours dont start! Hope it helps ;)

getting there slowly.

November 4th, 2009, 8:39 pm
Firing on two.

Been ok today, took it to work and when I came out at 9pm, it started 8-) Will replace the HT leads though, they're cheap enough.

November 4th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Umm,
plug gaps, if you've been racking up the miles?
They open about 1 thou for every thousand miles use, which is why I reckon it's worth adjusting them to 0.6mm/24 thou when fitting, then they'll do 5,000 miles before needing regapping.

ken.

November 5th, 2009, 12:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next