View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Performance Loss... 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Performance Loss...
Joe,
while the tank was out, you did remove the tank sender/fuel pickup unit to check that all was in order there, I hope...

ken

November 27th, 2009, 2:15 am
lovin' the snatch

we had the sender out around april time, wasnt working, and was all sorted then, oviously she's been over a few different types of terrain since then :P but errm no ken i didnt :/ should have done really... but if it turns out to be the plastic pipe then the tank has to come back down anyway :)

Keep Them Looking Standard.

1979 Myosotis Blue Dyane6
1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6
1989 Vert Bamboo 2cv6 D*lly (in bits)

November 27th, 2009, 11:35 am
lovin' the snatch

right... have swapped back to my original fuel pump today... seems to be drawing just as much air as the one off the D*lly.... so.. do i have a break in the plastic pipe, or is this one that ive just put on that i'd now not rather take off full of grit like the D*lly one was.... obviously i dont know much about pumps, the looking at the diagphram, the back of the darker brown part has loads of tiny little cracks when you "gently" peel it up to have a look, but when looking at the front of it, there isnt any obvious cracks/splits, im assuming this may be the cause of the air leak? also... it was ful of grit, would it be wise to replace the metal section of fuel pipe with another filter to stop "crap" from going into the pump aswell?

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

November 27th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Joe,
that's where I've always fitted any inline filter, as a replacement for that original piece of rusty metal pipe.

If you fit the filter between the pump and the carb, the pump will not be protected from any grot managing to pass through the gauze filter in the tank, also chances are that the filter will be _above_ the level of fuel in the carb, so air will always be in evidence inside the filter...

ken.

Gay_Joe wrote:
right... have swapped back to my original fuel pump today... seems to be drawing just as much air as the one off the D*lly.... so.. do i have a break in the plastic pipe, or is this one that ive just put on that i'd now not rather take off full of grit like the D*lly one was.... obviously i dont know much about pumps, the looking at the diagphram, the back of the darker brown part has loads of tiny little cracks when you "gently" peel it up to have a look, but when looking at the front of it, there isnt any obvious cracks/splits, im assuming this may be the cause of the air leak? also... it was ful of grit, would it be wise to replace the metal section of fuel pipe with another filter to stop "crap" from going into the pump aswell?

November 27th, 2009, 4:15 pm
lovin' the snatch

i would say the filter is around the same height as the pipe to the carb... i was thinking about having another filter on the chassis or swap them over, still got a decent length of pipe left! lucky

have ordered a new pump, gsf, £15.something! + vat! hopefully there will be no more bubbles as of monday :)

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

November 27th, 2009, 4:20 pm
Firing on two.

I just read the part about bubbles

"pump today... seems to be drawing just as much air as the one off the D*lly.... so.. do i have "

Having not read the thread until now, I've looked back to find the point at which you fitted a petrol filter - you will always see bubbles in a reasonably large horizontal filter on a 2cv - it's one of those delightful phenomenons! I think you're looking in the wrong place for your problem, so much text to wade through......zzzzzzzzzzz.

A fuel pump at 3k rpm on a 2cv could probably deliver a litre/minute or more to a reservoir (carb. float chamber).

November 27th, 2009, 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
lovin' the snatch

the bubbles are coming from the pump and the filter is normally pretty much empty when running... the fuel sits at the bottom of the actual filter untill its absorbed up... then at the top where its going to the carb thats just drawing up the fuel absorbed and mostly air.... hopefully tomorrow aslong as gsf arent little pansys again and send out the right fuel pump instead of something for a mondeo.... the fuel filter is going down to the chassis, and hopefully we'll have some results to post! if not... the only 2 other fuel related things i can check/replace that havent been are the plastic pipe and to check the sender!

1986 Sunrise Red 2cv6

November 29th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6