View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 7:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Why you shouldn't use engine oil in spring cans 
Firing on two.

Post Why you shouldn't use engine oil in spring cans
These two buffers are off the same suspension can. The front one has been on the receiving end of engine oil lubrication. The rear one hasn't.

October 17th, 2009, 6:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Why you shouldn't use engine oil in spring cans
Yes, that is a result of to much oil in the cans.

Last time I lubed the cans an a 2CV I used Castrol M, it's a castor oil, kind a very different from engineoil. It smells different, is harmless to rubber, (I think?) and it is really THICK. It seems to to a very good job in the cans. They are totally silent, which they were not with LHM-oil in.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

October 17th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Eirik,
surely it's not too much oil, but the wrong oil which will damage the rubber buffers.

So long as a vegetable based oil, such as castor, sunflower, olive, etc., is used there's no problem, but a mineral based oil (which includes LHM :( ) will soften the rubber buffer to the point where it's useless.

More recently, I've heard of some people using DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid to lube their canisters.
You've got to wonder why, when a little bit of thought should reveal that those brake fluids not only attract moisture, but also attack paint...

ken

EirikJ wrote:
Yes, that is a result of to much oil in the cans.

Last time I lubed the cans an a 2CV I used Castrol M, it's a castor oil, kind a very different from engineoil. It smells different, is harmless to rubber, (I think?) and it is really THICK. It seems to to a very good job in the cans. They are totally silent, which they were not with LHM-oil in.

October 17th, 2009, 8:37 pm
Firing on two.

Quote:
Eirik,surely it's not too much oil, but the wrong oil which will damage the rubber buffers.

Well, if there is not to much oil in the cans, it will not get out onto the rubber buffers. But as I said, this castor-oil from Castrol seems to be a really good choise. But it cost money, though.....
Quote:
More recently, I've heard of some people using DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid to lube their canisters.
You've got to wonder why, when a little bit of thought should reveal that those brake fluids not only attract moisture, but also attack paint...

Yes, that sounds like a bad bad idea. I really can't think of a reason why someone would chose brakefluid for this purpose.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

October 17th, 2009, 11:37 pm
Old Bloke

Have to say I'm with Ken on this.

Personally I use olive oil [with a touch of garlic to give it that French flavour]

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

October 18th, 2009, 11:34 am
2CV Fan

Surely new vegetable cooking oils (cheapest brand available) would be cheaper than Dot 3 or LHM and better,

If you really want to save money, don't throw out the oil you cook your fish and chips in. Strain it through a cloth and let it stand for a day or two. Decant the clear oil and use it. Bit of garlic gives it the French touch.

John

November 2nd, 2009, 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]