View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 16th, 2024, 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dyane gearbox into Acadiane - are there any benefits? 
super slot

Post Dyane gearbox into Acadiane - are there any benefits?
The gearbox in my van is the original unit, it seems ok save for a very noisy 1st gear. if there's a chance of a decent Dyane 'box would it be a suitable replacement? I'm pretty sure that the ratios are different on the van & the lower ratios are for hauling loads around.

I don't plan on hauling anything heavy around - except of course my own fat ass! What i'd like to know is; are there any easy to spot differences to easily tell apart a Dyane 'box & say a 2cv unit? would a Dyane 'box be the choice bearing in mind i want good top end rather than low gearing.

any ideas/thoughts welcome!

October 21st, 2009, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dyane gearbox into Acadiane - are there any benefits?
Now, after years and many scores of thousands of miles of driving Acadianes (with original Dyane gearbox - standard fitting) I had to change my gearbox before driving to Czech, gearbox I fitted was standard 2cv6, can't believe I didn't do it years ago - for me it was far better, closer ratios and no problems anywhere - even with a standard Acadiane (2cv6) engine badly in need of a new set of rings.

Neil wrote:
The gearbox in my van is the original unit, it seems ok save for a very noisy 1st gear. if there's a chance of a decent Dyane 'box would it be a suitable replacement? I'm pretty sure that the ratios are different on the van & the lower ratios are for hauling loads around.

I don't plan on hauling anything heavy around - except of course my own fat ass! What i'd like to know is; are there any easy to spot differences to easily tell apart a Dyane 'box & say a 2cv unit? would a Dyane 'box be the choice bearing in mind i want good top end rather than low gearing.

any ideas/thoughts welcome!

October 21st, 2009, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hmmm now that's torn it Roy, I was thinking of fitting a Dyane box to mine too. My engine is very free revving and I thought it might just help out on long motorway drags?

Did I read somewhere the big space is between 3rd and top gear on D boxes?

October 21st, 2009, 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
super slot

Roy Eastwood wrote:
Now, after years and many scores of thousands of miles of driving Acadianes (with original Dyane gearbox - standard fitting) I had to change my gearbox before driving to Czech, gearbox I fitted was standard 2cv6, can't believe I didn't do it years ago - for me it was far better, closer ratios and no problems anywhere - even with a standard Acadiane (2cv6) engine badly in need of a new set of rings.

hmmm, that's interesting, Roy. Handy too as i have a decent 2cv6 gearbox in the garage!

October 21st, 2009, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Old-Nail,
don't forget that the Bamboo Bleu has a CD factor of around 0.69?, whereas the drag factor for an Acadiane is probably closer to that of a garden shed... :

The 4% taller top gear of a Dyane box works well with saloons, unless you're towing something heavy ( or have a garden shed attached behind the driver.) :lol:

ken.

Old-Nail wrote:
Hmmm now that's torn it Roy, I was thinking of fitting a Dyane box to mine too. My engine is very free revving and I thought it might just help out on long motorway drags?

Did I read somewhere the big space is between 3rd and top gear on D boxes?

October 21st, 2009, 10:40 pm
Firing on two.

Quote:
whereas the drag factor for an Acadiane is probably closer to that of a garden shed... :

Spot on Ken,

you dont fully appreciate this until your trying to drive into a headwind flat out at 50kmh in the aforementioned nissen hut on wheels that is an Acad,

If chappers happens to read this post, what box is in the ol' van mate?

October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 am
Firing on two.

Yes Dyane boxes in saloons have a definite benefit with the taller top, partucularly (I find) with a heavy flywheel engine.

I'd have thought it would struggle with the extra weight/drag of a van though so I agree a 2cv box would be better.

1979 2cv6 (Evie)
1983 Beachcomber (Mavis)
1974 AZU250 Belgian PO (The van)
1991 AXGT Mk1
2008 C5 2.0 HDi VTR+

October 22nd, 2009, 10:15 am
Firing on two.

Matt S wrote:
Quote:
whereas the drag factor for an Acadiane is probably closer to that of a garden shed... :

Spot on Ken,

you dont fully appreciate this until your trying to drive into a headwind flat out at 50kmh in the aforementioned nissen hut on wheels that is an Acad,

Who said "AKS400"?

Quote:
If chappers happens to read this post, what box is in the ol' van mate?

AFAIK, it's the original box. It was on (at least) the second engine when we bought it - the previous one become hugely incontinent on the dockside whilst waiting for the boat as it emigrated... I never replaced either whilst the van was with us. We saw a GPS 80mph out of it once, but 65 was the usual terminal velocity - power-limited rather than rev-limited. Closing the driver's door window seemed to be worth 5mph...

October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks Adrian,

I may whack a 2CV box in it then. Its gonna need a good service, bit o' fettlin at the end of winter i think.

Its 80mph quite often actually, apart from those days it doesnt like going fast.

October 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am
Firing on two.

Matt S wrote:
I may whack a 2CV box in it then. Its gonna need a good service, bit o' fettlin at the end of winter i think.

Its 80mph quite often actually, apart from those days it doesnt like going fast.

Mechanically, it was sound - apart from the rattly little ends - but I don't think it was the strongest engine generally. Have you swapped it?

October 22nd, 2009, 10:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next