View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Chassis in the UK 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Chassis in the UK
spanners wrote:
I'm not suggesting that anybody wants to build a car around a racing chassis. I'm merely suggesting that too much bloody emphasis is being put on the chassis here and nobody seems to give a crap what state anything else is in and, yes I am aware that this is a thread about the chassis but there are many other variables to consider are there not?

Opinions are going to differ between folk on what chassis is best etc but if everybody used the same chassis we'd be arguing about which rust proofing to use.

I get the impression from each technical thread which comes up on here that we should perhaps all be driving A-series on original Citroen chassis at original height with original springs and dampers only using Michelin tyres etc. That's not how enverybody wants to roll but if I were a newbie looking at this forum for the first time, I'd possibly be wondering if I'd ever be able to find this "factory stock" car of which has been spoken! :twisted:

Rant over until my last remaining nerve starts to feel claustrophobic again! ;)

Agreed.

Whilst everybody has opinions based on fact/experience, I'd really rather all the tech threads didn't end up in a slanging match about who's right and wrong. I really appreciate the advice and opinions of everybody on here, and I like hearing differing views on things, but try and keep it friendly please!

September 8th, 2009, 11:05 am
2CV Fan

Quote:
if everybody used the same chassis we'd be arguing about which rust proofing to use

now, there is an interesting topic :cry: No doubt spanners would mention how his lowered car was more fun or quicker, from a waxoyling point of view. And I'd be suggesting brand b was what was originally used, and obviously superior to anyone who had ever used their car seriously. :lol:

More seriously, there used to be many aftermarket chassis available - now there are fewer than five, at least in Britain? From reading this thread, and this one then it should be clear one widely distributed chassis isn't seen as very good by most people here, and one is. And that the original, although a completely different design, is the result of the same guys who came up with the Traction Avant and DS and is what the car was engineered around.

Last edited by oolong on September 8th, 2009, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2009, 11:37 am
viking bastard

Hey Russell no need to worry about how we reply. Like some one said, if we all agree it would be a boring forum. We are very passionate professionals and amateurs and like real life people in real life, we argue lots of things about chassis etc. To discuss and argue ones believes/facts are only healthy, it may not lead to anything except bringing more knowledge out in the open. I certainly don’t have a problem with other people’s facts/experiences. I may or may not agree but that’s life.
I fully endorse others coming forward, I may not like the way its written but again we can’t all agree + talk (write) like we are the best of friends. Many forums have this problem, wanting to put a lid on disputes but real life is full of them. I can’t see how you can control that without moderating everything we say. That would for sure make it a very boring. This post about chassis has to me been very interesting, learning about other folks ideas. I’m not offended at all. Keep it up.
Cheers bastards :mrgreen:

Viking bastard

September 8th, 2009, 11:37 am
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

I agree, Viking - and appreciate your willingness to put forward your ideas whilst being quite willing to accept others'. I imagine you'll still be interested in Ken's chassis even though you two argued - although it seemed to me that it was a word and description problem rather than a fundamental lack of understand on either of your sides.

Some are easily offended, though, and I guess those in charge intervene in the interests of the majority to help create a forum full of debate using facts, when toys are thrown out of the pram!

September 8th, 2009, 12:03 pm
viking bastard

I have no problems with Ken or anybody else having a go at what I claim. It is only natural to be skeptic when some begins to question what you believe. More than happy to try a chassis from Ken. I’m sure his workman ship is top class and that many customers want/like galvanized chassis under the 2cv. My point is simply, galvanized chassis makes the cars stiffer and no good for raiding but no worries on the sealed roads.

September 8th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
My point is simply, galvanized chassis makes the cars stiffer and no good for raiding

Sorry, can you run it by me again, please...

Why would chassis flex be anything other than bad, given how soft the 2cv suspension is?

Why would chassis flex not transfer any stresses onto the bodyshell, leading to stress fractures and other deterioration?

I can see why a chassis would start to crack - especially if they're poorly built, with the suspension can mounts welded onto the side rather than passing through, or where the suspension is stiffened or overloaded - but I don't understand why chassis flex itself is anything other than bad.

September 8th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
2CV Fan

is this thread stuck in a continuous loop? - Image ... Image .... Image........Image................. Image.........................Image

Last edited by oolong on September 8th, 2009, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Firing on two.

oolong wrote:
is this thread stuck in a continuous loop?

No, I think it's just me being dense.

September 8th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
2CV Fan

... not suggesting either of you is wrong... but go HERE!

September 8th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Firing on two.

oolong wrote:
... not suggesting either of you is wrong... but go HERE!

Yep, but that doesn't explain WHY... A Landie might well have difficulties because of an over-stiff chassis (although things like Bowlers etc don't seem to have problems), but they have considerably stiffer suspension than 2cvs, so more forces are being transferred to the chassis.

Aren't they?
<scratches head>

September 8th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next