View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 4th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Chassis in the UK 
2CV Fan

Post Re: Chassis in the UK
...and as few cars coming out of the factories around the world were identical, it is highly unlikely that 20 years after production ended, there will be rows and rows of identical cars.

All a matter of degree - some people would struggle to see the difference between a 2CV and a Dyane... others can distinguish an original 1981 car from an '85s vintage by feel and smell alone :o

September 7th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Indeed, I don't see any point in 'originality' being the favoured direction for our cars, when we have fields of 2cvs that are all the same and all shiney, then 2cving will be dead.

I agree

I am all for original 2CV's.. the French designed an absolutely gem of a car and that's why I have a completely original unmolested 79 2CV on original chassis sitting in the garage

But.. what really turned me on to 2CV's was the creativity that the owners unleashed onto their A series. I suppose that's why I got into the 4x4 and raiding scene. A scene that is growing - and that's not me being biased. Just take the Morvan events - that same creativity is in abundance and its building. Heath Robinson style machines attempting the impossible with only a 602cc engine; that wins it every time for me

http://www.studioru.co.uk

September 7th, 2009, 3:00 pm
2CV Fan

Image...sitting in the garage..?Image ...I s'pose I see a 2CV at its best as an everyday tool, but I see how one as a (expensive?) hobby can be huge fun.

Here I suggest why I think one is at its most appreciated when as everyday transport. A hobby like yours is going to involve significant investment of time/money and a small % of 2CV drivers, no matter how popular it becomes. Since it is a business for you, it would be strange if you didn't sing its virtues!

Perhaps the most remarkable sight is a bog-standard car performing what few others could - a heavily modded machine is built-for-purpose, so is expected to do what it was designed to do. We drove off-road in the far NW of Scotland a few years ago, to the great consternation of some 4x4ers who told us they had got stuck just ahead - needless to say, we got through just fine. Image

As for "Heath Robinson style machines attempting the impossible with only a 602cc engine", there are many light aircraft flying with even less power than a standard 2CV, so driving up an obstacle course shouldn't be too impossible. Image

But, I do think it's great there are sufficient affordable parts and cars around to allow that sort of thing - long may it continue. It can only benefit the car's profile. Anyone ever taken part in any uk classic trialing? I see they mention 2CVs take part in the 'not for the faint heated' class 1.

September 7th, 2009, 3:29 pm
Field Plougher

oolong wrote:
All a matter of degree - some people would struggle to see the difference between a 2CV and a Dyane

some people confuse 2cvs for beetles :lol:

September 7th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Firing on two.

2cv4x4 wrote:
oolong wrote:
All a matter of degree - some people would struggle to see the difference between a 2CV and a Dyane

some people confuse 2cvs for beetles :lol:

When I had a Morris Minor Tourer(Convertible), I had some old duffer hit me up the backend :shock: he was ever so worried he'd damaged the engine, as well as the bodywork :? "Why?" I asked him..."Because Beetle's have their engine in the back" was his reply.....D'ER!!! Numpty :lol:

September 7th, 2009, 7:14 pm
sopwithcamel wrote:
and were mostly painted in garish colours and other 'horrors' ;) , but now, the remaining cars a mostly restored to a very high 'as close to factory' condition and by the ones who created the 'horrors' This will happen to the 2cv, as sure as eggs are eggs 8-)

When I first got into the 2cv a little over ten years ago, I wanted a racing steering wheel, alloys and other suchlike accessories, but now, I liking originality.

Does that mean you're gonna have your D*lly repainted as original then? ;)

Also, I've kept a vague eye on this thread but generally found it quite amusing-I've had cars on welded original chassis, unwelded original chassis, wheels, early Frome, racing Frome, 2CV City, GW and of course SLC and every car has felt different from the next/last. They also feel totally different depending on how/if the bodyshell has been repaired.

In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my Frome racing chassis, 200% uprated springs, AVO adjustables, rollcage, racing steering wheel etc etc 2CV-if anybody doesn't like it, tough! You aint ever got to drive it after all!! :twisted: ;)

September 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Firing on two.

Spanners matey, I'll be having words with you, in the pub later ;) Just about suspension tweeking :lol:

September 7th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Firing on two.

spanners wrote:
In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my Frome racing chassis, ;)

Oh forgot that one
Add to my list ;)

Generally the racing shassis are better cause they have to be stiff to wring out that little bit extra in the corners as well as having good sound shells :oops: and a nice stiff rollcage :?

Sean

September 7th, 2009, 8:13 pm
2CV Fan

If a body is weak, it will alter the handling due to torsional (twisitng) weakness. And to a degree, bending strength. But it's the twisting strength which really affects the cornering ability of a car.

You can alter the centre of torsion or 'twist' by adding an extra cross-member on a ladder frame chassis, so giving the car more neutral handling under harder cornering. Not the purists method necessarily, but effective!

Other simple mods can be made, with beneficial effects to steering feel and response. No need to completely rebuild your car around a 'racing' chassis! Even the very flimsiest designs can be improved no end, although the 'jitteriness' always remains.

Beyond the chassis, people forget what a huge effect suspension arm quality (and geometry) has on the way a car responds.

September 8th, 2009, 12:16 am
I'm not suggesting that anybody wants to build a car around a racing chassis. I'm merely suggesting that too much bloody emphasis is being put on the chassis here and nobody seems to give a crap what state anything else is in and, yes I am aware that this is a thread about the chassis but there are many other variables to consider are there not?

Opinions are going to differ between folk on what chassis is best etc but if everybody used the same chassis we'd be arguing about which rust proofing to use.

I get the impression from each technical thread which comes up on here that we should perhaps all be driving A-series on original Citroen chassis at original height with original springs and dampers only using Michelin tyres etc. That's not how enverybody wants to roll but if I were a newbie looking at this forum for the first time, I'd possibly be wondering if I'd ever be able to find this "factory stock" car of which has been spoken! :twisted:

Rant over until my last remaining nerve starts to feel claustrophobic again! ;)

September 8th, 2009, 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next