View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A lot of questions. 
Firing on two.

Post A lot of questions.
I've been pondering various things for a while now, and have amassed a load of thoughts which I cannot answer myself, I'm hoping somebody in 2cv land can help me!

Firstly, On a 425cc 18bhp engine, does one set the timing to the same parameters as a late 602cc one? ie, mark the flywheel on the peg and then count 7 teeth round and mark that too, plumb the strobe in and check the marks on tickover and with open thottle? or is these anything different I need to learn?

Then, The same car as mentioned above had electric windscreen wipers fitted, as standard I believe (ooh, the luxury!). However, they don't work when the ignition is on and the engine unstarted, only when it's being driven. Even giving them a gentle helping hand they were quite unwilling to move until the car was running. Is this normal? If not, is there anywhere obvious to start looking for faults?

Also, Will my car pass it's MOT in the UK without a Speedo? I don't mean a non-working-but-fitted one, I mean if i bin it alltogether?

Finally, Bugger; I can't remember what the last thing I was going to ask was...

August 28th, 2009, 5:14 pm
Old Bloke

Post Re: A lot of questions.
Hi Russel, don't know the 425 engine very well so will leave it to thers to answer that for you.

Re Speedo, I presume your car is a 6 volt. Has someone fitted a 12 volt motor. If it is a correct 6 volt it sounds like its a bit knackered and is in need of a clean inside. Clean the commutator [is that spelt right] that the copper coloured segements with an emery board gently till its shiny. Clean the gaps out with a tooth pick [wooden]. Be careful not to damage the spring and the little plastic hook [very important item]

Your car won't pass a test without a speedo though its function isn't [or wasn't when I last did MOT's] tested.

Hope this helps

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

August 28th, 2009, 6:01 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks paul, the Speedo question was regarding my bamboo, not the 425cc car, I just fancy binning it and making something else instead.

August 28th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Firing on two.

Russ

while the manual is still up

A53 engine 12* static 6-8* distributor to full advance
A79/0 12* static with 7-12* distributor to full advance

Crank degrees you need to wotk out what a tooth represents 360*/No of teeth(107 on a 602 flywheel, therefore 360/107, so each tooth= 3.364*)

so peg will give you 12* and max advance will be about 14* or 20* expressed in teeth (using the above) beyond your static mark.

and to answer the next question:- its cause the cam moves at 1/2 crank rotation and the manual describes it as "Distributor Degrees" but you want to measure crank degrees ;)

Have fun hooning the Ami round the field?
never got to see you beyond that

Sean

August 30th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
Russ

while the manual is still up

A53 engine 12* static 6-8* distributor to full advance
A79/0 12* static with 7-12* distributor to full advance

Crank degrees you need to wotk out what a tooth represents 360*/No of teeth(107 on a 602 flywheel, therefore 360/107, so each tooth= 3.364*)

so peg will give you 12* and max advance will be about 14* or 20* expressed in teeth (using the above) beyond your static mark.

and to answer the next question:- its cause the cam moves at 1/2 crank rotation and the manual describes it as "Distributor Degrees" but you want to measure crank degrees ;)

Have fun hooning the Ami round the field?
never got to see you beyond that

Sean

Brilliant, thanks Sean.

And yes, What with Most race circuit and the hooning field, I'm quite suprised I haven't needed to ask more 'How the bloody hell do I mend this' type questions yet....

August 30th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]