View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Any tips separating rusty exhaust pipes? 
2CV Fan

Post Re: Any tips separating rusty exhaust pipes?
I'm a believer in trial and error - if it's better without something, leave it off. If you look at a GS's exhaust manifolds, isn't there a small collector bulb on the manifold?

Is this anything to do with a lack of collector box? And from memory is it just on one side? The 1015 Ami Super had a box, in fact a sidewinder I've recently sorted for a friend has a 1299 engine connected to one, then just the side exit pipe like a 2CV's swan neck. And that goes like stink, doesn't feel restricted - pulls up to 8000 hard.

So is a collector box something to do with a boxer layout, where the header pipes from each bank (or each cylinder in the case of a 2CV) travel a way before joining, unlike an inline engine?

August 15th, 2009, 9:26 pm
Firing on two.

Any success yet on removing?

getting there slowly.

August 15th, 2009, 9:30 pm
super slot

Tom wrote:
Any success yet on removing?

look on page 3, Tom.

August 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Woops sorry :oops: Well done

getting there slowly.

August 15th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Firing on two.

Tom wrote:
Woops sorry :oops: Well done

haha, yes it took me about 45 minutes in total to remove the old one and put on the new tailpipe! ( i like the sound better too!) thanks for the tips, hows your car coming along?

August 15th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Firing on two.

Coming is about all. Weather been bad and put play on hold sadly. Body ready to come off now. Cant wait!!!! :P I am enjoying it soo much.
Btw this is my blue 2cv's side exhaust now on my red one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-WoiRI_Os
Please comment :roll:

getting there slowly.

August 15th, 2009, 10:23 pm

That sounds like mine, except I haven't got a torpedo box, just some straight pipe......and a crossbox that ate its baffles long ago.

I'll have to do an in-car 'trip round the village' video, it sounds like the apocalypse.
:mrgreen:

August 15th, 2009, 11:20 pm
Firing on two.

Cool, I cant do that to mine i'm not allowed. dam! Side pipe good enough for now.

getting there slowly.

August 15th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Firing on two.

Haha, i think im going to stick withe the setup i have for now! i dont think the neighbours would appreciate a loud exhaust as they arn't too keen on a 139 Db horn which i hit with my knee when getting in the car sometimes!

August 15th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

oolong,
I'd guess you'd agree that the Lomax 2 into 1 isn't a brilliant piece of design, since the diameter of the primary pipes is probably on the large side and the lengths to the join are unequal, the latter being something which has considerable importance for a boxer twin engine...

Btw, if you do check out the internals of a crossbox, you should find that the distance from each inlet to the outlet through the internal baffles is the same.
So, chopping out all of the internals is likely to be counterproductive...

Fwiw, during one of the years when I spannered for the ECAS team at Mondello, the bottom blew out of the crossbox, which wasn't all that surprising as it had done more than a few full race seasons.
Iiirc, there were some hours to go in the race and although the holed crossbox was losing us over a second a lap, Roy and the team worked out that it was better to keep going rather than lose about 10 to 15 minutes replacing the box.
Their maths proved to be correct.

Slightly frivolous question(s) time...

Do you think that any vortex effect would still be evident after the air has passed through a filter element? I'd have thought that the tangential flow is more aimed at distributing the incoming air evenly around the exterior of the element.

Just 'owlong did that engine survive, since 95mph on standard gearing works out at close to 7,500 rpm?
Same applies to the Dyane which was mentioned in another thread, with 100 on the sat nav, or was that kph? :o

ken.

oolong wrote:
[i]
Neil says it all when talking about how hard it is to better the factory original. I would argue that goes for every other part of the car. Take the air filter - it's beautifully designed to swirl the intake air into a vortex.

I once bought a Special which had a pancake filter sitting in the airstream. The car struggled to beat 70mph, even with a Lomax 2-1 exhaust. After not a little experimentation, the car would pull 95mph, through use of a Peugeot air box/filter unit, a ram box and trunking.

As I said above, check out older Alfas to see the exquisite lengths they went to on the inlet tracts, and the exhaust headers.

August 16th, 2009, 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next