View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Randomly Slow Starter 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Randomly Slow Starter
With the floors they just ran the heater ducting very wide and flat to the rear, under the front carpet. So that is essentially the floor. It's really clever.
All the warm (or cooled) air is ducted in clever ways like that so the carpeted knee bolster is a duct too, heated or cooled, the side panels of the centre console, and air is ducted into the doors but only the front ones. Nowadays it goes in all the doors. Mine are S classes from the 80's.

It means that the desired temperature radiates from every surface rather than blowing on you and drying your eyes out. Although you can select it if you really want. Heated seats front and rear too. But no heated steering wheel or armrest like lots of later cars have.

December 6th, 2023, 1:36 pm
Firing on two.

Ianredspecial wrote:
-20, hahaha. Most I've seen is -12. Not in my 2cv though, old Mercedes with a heated floor and doors and wow is that car cosy in winter.

Jasu, I've been looking online to see if I can find out if my oil weight is the cause of this. I'm going to change it back to 10x40 today if I get time before work. But you'll be the person to know this. What oil weight do you use there in winter in your elderly Citroëns?

I have used (and almost all here) synthetic oil on 2CV engines. Same as summer, no need to change oil for winter, but at least once at year because of condensating water...

On my Landy, summer oil 20W-50 and for winter 10W-30. And that 10 -stuff is quite thick at -20'C... Tried how it crank yesterday, at -23'C, hardly but enough to have the engine started. And first time ever with that Landy, there is some kind of demister for windshields now, what takes fresh air from outside. Now it is possible to see out without scrapping the ice inside of windshield, as before... Funny little car by many ways...

That warm/cold air ducting, that is quite similar what is on my C8, but on those 80's s-classe Merc they were quite rare then. They serve the air distribution much better than usual way...

December 6th, 2023, 2:17 pm
Firing on two.

Yes I can imagine it being more common now. It's a lovely place to be in the winter.

My 2cv oil is draining overnight, I had time to set it draining but not fill it back up again yet. I've never done an oil change on a cold engine before but I figured it should be fine this time so I can see how it turns over with a full charge in the battery and the thinner oil.

December 6th, 2023, 11:08 pm
Firing on two.

Well, I only just drove it again today.

I did the slowest oil change in the world, which involved it draining for about a week! Fresh 10x40.

I thought to check the fasteners on the electrical cut off switch. Only been on there a couple years, but hmm not ideal. Steel washers, a little corroded. Cleaned them up.

Have literally cleaned every single connection in the car that I could find and found nothing untoward apart from those above.

It started perfectly today, first time, lovely purr. No slow starter has occurred during today's use so hopefully it's sorted now.

As always, your advice, help and moral support is much appreciated.

December 20th, 2023, 8:35 pm
Firing on two.

Well done :D

Your topic title ... that's me in the mornings :D

December 20th, 2023, 10:20 pm
Firing on two.

I had to drain an very old engine that had been in an french barn for years. As i couldn't run it i put the campinggaz stove under it to heat it up before draining.. ;-)

December 20th, 2023, 11:19 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
Well done :D

Your topic title ... that's me in the mornings :D

Lol :D

December 21st, 2023, 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3