View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Speedometer Cable Change 
Firing on two.

Post Speedometer Cable Change
Hi all.

I need to change my cable after all. I've not done it before so any information on changing it would be welcome.

It's in the post from ecas but currently I can't tell how on earth it connects to the gearbox. Not much room there for fiddling on mine actually, that part seems close to the cross member on the chassis.

Seems to be some kind of threaded thing on the bulkhead too. I'm surprised it doesn't just slide up through.

Thanks!

October 16th, 2023, 6:01 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Speedometer Cable Change
You have to take the battery tray out. Unscrew the cable from the counter. It might be easier to pull it upwards as the collar on the speedo side is a bit thicker. On the gearbox side there is a long bolt that passes throught the side of the cable and plastic center bushing. It has to be taken out completely otherwise the cable won't come out.
Be carefull not to loose the little cog from the drive. Sometimes it comes out with the cable somtimes it stays down in the hole. Mounting is best by putting the cog in, then the plastic bushing (keep the side slit in direction of the bolt. Push the blot in slightly to hold the plastic, then stick the cable in and turn till the drive falls in the slit of the cog. After that push in the bolt completely and screw it in.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

October 16th, 2023, 7:56 pm
Firing on two.

Wow, thank you much. I needed that.

Mine is a right hand drive so the battery tray doesn't need to come out I don't think.

October 16th, 2023, 9:57 pm
Firing on two.

I don't know how a righthand drive 2cv looks under the bonnet. ;-)
If you have bolt out of the gearbox, you can try to hold the plastic bush in place and only pull the cable out. So the little cog stays in place. And WARNING don't move the car wen the little cog is loose as it may tilt and destroy the gearbox back cover. I have seen this done by someone with turning the gearbox by hand!!!

October 16th, 2023, 11:10 pm
Firing on two.

Eek! Thanks!

October 20th, 2023, 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]