View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rattles - spare wheel well floor 
Firing on two.

Post Rattles - spare wheel well floor
I hadn't though my late special was more than normally rattly ... until I put two sacks of compost in the boot. It suddenly became very quiet.

Years ago I had made up a cover from plywood to go over the spare wheel and give a flat floor to the boot. It is this that is the source of the very worst noises. It extends - just a little bit - over the floor below the rear seat, and I think some of the noises are from contact with the seat catches. But I don't know.

Does anyone have a tried and tested boot floor that works? I'd really appreciate a description or a photo.

[edit] Do others have a semi-circular (ish) front end, so the board sits down inside the wheel-well? Mine is rectangular and sits on top of the raised floor underneath the rear seat.

The other source of rattles is the clip that holds open the drivers window. It's very loose in the metal indeed. I suspect it was a cheap one. Are there better window catches available from particular suppliers? Mine was (probably) from MCC.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

August 8th, 2023, 10:47 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Rattles - spare wheel well floor
My boot floor is the same as yours by the sounds of it. It doesn't rattle though. I did put carpet on it many years ago, quite thick. Maybe that helps. The board badly needs replacing now though.

Once you start listening for rattles your are done for, haha.

I think Ecas do Burton window clips. You could possibly 'tune' clips a bit by subtly bending the retaining wire if that's loose. The Burton ones are fitted with a screw that expands the part into the door frame, I do like that.

August 12th, 2023, 11:12 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Rattles - spare wheel well floor
I had an wood floor that was slightly too big and had to be wedged in a bit. Worked ok for years.

August 13th, 2023, 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]