View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fuel pump... 
Firing on two.

Post Fuel pump...
Helloe.

Trying to wake my 'new' 2CV from its 19 year slumber. Fresh engine and gearbox oil, and primed the system with some serious cranking with ignition disconnected until oil light went out. Oil pressure looks promising - goes out with a second or two's cranking, and stays off for 5+ seconds after I stop.

But, she didn't fire up after reconnecting the ign...

Disconnected fuel hose from carb, and nothing comes out when cranking. Attached hand pump to end of fuel hose and petrol can be drawn up easily.

So, need to get the pump off. Oh for pity's sakes - I thought acces to the carb nuts was a pita. This one's KING SIZED. Why should such a tiny engine, sitting under such a big bonnet, still have such carp access to its 'bits'... :(

Any hints as to how to get access to the pump? Is it a fan cover off jobbie?

(I tried to prime the fuel system first and may have connected the hand pump t'wrong way around - probably 'blew' the diaphragm...)

Thanks for any tips.

July 31st, 2009, 7:50 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Fuel pump...
Oh, and are replacement parts - diaphragms, etc - available for the pump? It is only an 8k miler after all...

July 31st, 2009, 7:51 pm
Firing on two.

Take the wing off the car, you can get better access to it then. Use the wheel brace to remove the 4 big nuts, after removing the A-panel ;) A good idea is to use an old jumper, or a 2 litre drinks bottle with the bottom cut off, over the front bumper, to stop the bumper damaging the paint on the wing.

July 31st, 2009, 8:03 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks swc.

That makes sense. Since I need to respray the wings in any case, might as well tackle it all together!

Cheers.

(The wheel brace fits the large nuts - now I didn't know that... :) )

July 31st, 2009, 8:09 pm
Firing on two.

Devils Advocate wrote:
So, need to get the pump off. Oh for pity's sakes - I thought acces to the carb nuts was a pita. This one's KING SIZED. Why should such a tiny engine, sitting under such a big bonnet, still have such carp access to its 'bits'... :(

Any hints as to how to get access to the pump? Is it a fan cover off jobbie?

Nah, it's not that bad with everything in place. Don't even need take the wing off, unless you don't fancy bending down. Even if you did have the cowlings all off, it wouldn't help that much.

Plenty of carb cleaner sprayed at it to stop any gunk getting under the new spacer and pump, then just disconnect the fuel pipe next to the chassis and at the carb, then an 11mm socket on a long extension from above to remove the bolts. Then pull the whole lot up from above by the pipe.

Connect (preferably new...) fuel pipe to the new pump, and lower it into place - don't forget the spacer. Then lower one bolt into it's hole from above, and snug the pump down on the pushrod, put the other bolt in, nip up, then go back and nip up the first. Don't forget to reconnect the fuel pipe...

August 3rd, 2009, 6:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Cheers for that tm2cvs - I could kiss you.

Er, (voice drops an octave) in a very manly way, of course...

Had a look and looks like taking the wings off probably won't help that much - although they are due to come off anyways, so...

Thanks - really helps to know the 'technique'.

August 3rd, 2009, 8:33 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Hi folks,
since it makes the job so much easier, surely removing the wings is a good idea?
Another little trick is to buy about a metre of the (correct) 5.5mm ID rubber fuel pipe, then connect one end of this to the lower end of the pipe leading up to the pump before removing the pump.

That short piece of (rusty metal) tube on the chassis leg is ideal for this, especially since that will be replaced with a small in-line filter after the job is done, won't it? ;)

Once you've fished the pump out, discard the old rubber pipe and attach the new piece to the pump before it all goes back into place, after which the lower section of rubber hose can be trimmed to the required length.

While you've got the wing off, re-torque the cylinder head stud nuts (to 18 ft.lbs ) and adjust the valve clearances to 0.25 exhaust and 0.20 inlet and you're (almost) ready to roll... :)

ken.

Last edited by ken on August 4th, 2009, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2009, 11:05 pm
Firing on two.

All good stuff.

Cheers, Ken.

August 4th, 2009, 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]