View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 pulsing brakes 
Firing on two.

Post pulsing brakes
Hi Folks,

My "New " saloon passed MoT

Brakes work and are up to standard to pass mot....but, pulse badly.

First thought is worn, warped discs so have ordered up new discs and will replace pads.

Any advice on tackiing the job? I understand its possible without bleeding the system...

('85 RHD saloon)

December 6th, 2022, 1:09 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: pulsing brakes
If you separate the caliper halves, obviously you'll need to bleed them afterwards but you can move the calipers out of the way without separating the halves:
Remove the pads (footbrake and handbrake). Remove the M7 nuts (and washers) that hold the brake pipe clamps to the gearbox. (Depending on where you're going to put the calipers, you might want to do the same with the pipe-clamp on the bulkhead too, held with an M5 nut). Undo the rear caliper mounting bolt until it's clear of the threads. Loosen the front bolt only a fraction: only enough to allow the caliper to be swivelled upwards at the back enough to get an M10 nut onto the rear bolt. Tighten the rear bolt/nut to clamp the caliper-halves together. Loosen and remove the front bolt, so the caliper is free from the gearbox. Do the same on the other side and then you can lift both complete calipers up together, away from the discs.
NB: Don't lose (or forget to refit) the thin spacer between caliper & gearbox.
Even if you are going to separate the caliper halves, to replace the seals* while they're off, removing them as above means that you can control where all the lhm goes, 4ather than making a mess all over your output shafts, driveshafts, etc.
(*If there is any doubt about the seals, replace them).

December 6th, 2022, 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Maybe rear brakes, adjusting, centering,
Attachment:
036562F1-7A3C-4AE2-8157-D31E2C4807F5.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

December 6th, 2022, 10:23 am
Firing on two.

Check if the drums are round.
For the caliper story if you search an M10 nut it's the same that holds the gearbox to the engine.

December 6th, 2022, 6:27 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks All !

I've ordered new discs and will try that first. when doing my AZU, I had intended to just have a "quick" look at the rear brakes......That turned into, hubnuts, clyinders, adjusters, fitting kit, shoes, curly brake pipe etc......I'd like to avoid that if possible so hopefully its the discs !!!

December 20th, 2022, 12:20 am
Firing on two.

With new discs, new pads and hand brake pads are a good idea :)

December 20th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]