View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 heater box ? rattle 

Post heater box ? rattle
This yutz of a Yank needs a little sage advice. I've yet to figure out how to post pics but working on it.

I'm beyond the run in period on my rebuilt 602 and now that I can rev a bit more aggressively I have found a tin sounding rattle. Much like a heat shield rattle on newer cars. I suspect the heater boxes . If I grab each box and shake they both move a bit on the exhaust. One more than the other.

As this is the only 2cv near by (that I know of in lower Michigan) any suggestion as to approach would be helpful and most welcomed.

Should there be a clamp on the box as the exhaust enters the box or might there be another fitting needed. Gasket? This is the only running one I've ever seen. So I'm a real green horn in my 1970 Bamboo want-a-be :)

September 17th, 2022, 3:07 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: heater box ? rattle
Hi, the heater boxes are spot welded to the tubes. So you can try to weld them, i hammered the flanges over on one of my car and put a heavy duty jubilee clip on it. Bit of copper grease on the screw.

September 17th, 2022, 10:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Not only do they slide back and forward but the twist a little. Thise spots welds must have let go.

So happy to be on the forum :D

September 18th, 2022, 1:57 am
Firing on two.

Yes they rust loose in time. Very thin tin... ;-)

September 18th, 2022, 2:14 pm
Firing on two.

Welcome to the forum :D .... how did you sneak in! :lol:

Ideally, you would have the cases welded to the pipe (though I have also used a jubilee clip ;) ).

Before welding, it's a good idea to check the pipe is installed at the correct angle, as if it's not, and you need to remove it, it can be a bugger to re install.

Don't ask me how I know :D

September 18th, 2022, 7:27 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
... Before welding, it's a good idea to check the pipe is installed at the correct angle ....

There's a Dutch company that could do with heeding your advice Roger. ;)

September 19th, 2022, 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

+1 on the welcome!

I've never known these parts not to be rattley and loose. Thought it was normal.

Regarding pictures, I found you have the shrink them quite a bit before the system will accept them. Works better for me on my laptop than my phone.

September 19th, 2022, 7:13 pm
Firing on two.

Yes, as Ian says, check the files sizes. I find cropping an image can reduce the size substantionally. Though, could be, you have not been a member long enough, or, not posted enough posts.

September 19th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]