View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 GSA 5 speed gearbox 
Firing on two.

Post GSA 5 speed gearbox
What would be the advantages?

January 7th, 2022, 11:39 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: GSA 5 speed gearbox
^Compared to..?

Advantages to 2CV/Dyane6 box:

-brakes
-synchromess on all forward gears
-longer overall gear ratio, so lower RPM -> lower noise inside

Dis-advantages..:

-much longer gox, even with Visa-bellhouse, need to move engine more forward
-weight, a lot
-weird gear pattern, can be solved with gear linkage/floor shifter

Advantages to GS/GSA 4-speed..:

-little longer overall gear ratio

Dis-advantages..:

-much longer gox, even with Visa-bellhouse, need to move engine more forward
-weight

Still, I would be thinking about installing 5-speed box, to Dyane/Ami, especially if the engine is improved about low end torque. It is pleasant to drive over 100km/h with much less noise due to lower RPM. 4000RPM is much silence than 5000RPM at 100km/h. With more torque (big bore, EFI, supercharger -you name it) driving is easier, and benefits of that is nice to handle with longer gearing...

That all, only my opinion, from some experience. Doesn't even try to explain is it better or worse than any else...

January 8th, 2022, 11:44 am
Firing on two.

I guess that longer gearing could be pretty useful on downhill slopes. I've often wanted an overdrive for those situations on longer journeys.
Important where 4th gear would put you regarding cruising speed and revs though or the whole thing could be a disadvantage.

January 8th, 2022, 1:09 pm
Firing on two.

Thank you Guys

I've purchased a GSA 5 speed / Visa engine combination. With a Visa bell housing.

It's been adapted for 2CV disc brakes.

There is no manifold, carb or ignition, So I will need to sort out something there.

It's been sat a good while, so will see what the condition is when I collect it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

January 8th, 2022, 2:10 pm
Firing on two.

Does the 2cv manifold fit the visa engine?

January 8th, 2022, 2:11 pm
Firing on two.

Roger,

2cv Manifold will fit OK.

But Visa Ignition! when they work are great, spare sensores can be issue:(

123 Ignition can be fitted with Camshft adapter.

Cheers

January 8th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Firing on two.

Pete, thanks for confirming manifold :)

Would anyone know if the 2cv cooling shrouds fit on a visa?

I was aware of the ignition issues, but other than that, I know very little about the visa engine.

Ignition, I will probably work on my own efi, and I'm thinking of having the flywheel machined (or drilling) with a trigger pattern.

Ultimately, (I've been studying Geo's topic), I think I would like a turbo. :) But not on a visa engine, as the compression is probably to high.

January 8th, 2022, 3:31 pm
Firing on two.

Cooling shrouds fit, somehow. Not perfect. I didn't have them on my first Visa, so only change at mid 90's was to fit 2CV6 parts...

Quite interesting exhaust, and the alternator installation. Do You know where that engine was installed before..?

Can't understand that brake -solution. I like GSA brakes a lot, only need to make holes to bell housing to have brake disc installed. About brake balance, it was great with "bigger" rear cylinders with GSA front calipers like on my other Dyane, and also with 2CV front disc brakes at rear, with GSA front brakes like my 4x4 Dyane...

GS flywheel can be installed to Visa engine, if 180mm clutch is wanted/needed instead of standard 16mm clutch. And yes, it fit on Visa, and also to 2CV bellhouse. I have had them both, they will fit... Flywheel mentioned, if You want to do some experimental solutions, and don't want to hassle with rare Visa flywheel...

January 8th, 2022, 10:37 pm
Firing on two.

From what I understand, this was all development work. Unfortunately, the chap passed away, part way through the project. Pete Sparrow bought it from the widow, and I have purchased it from Pete.

The chap was wanting to build a very low bonnet, hence moving the alternator.

The exhaust looks complex, but one of the pipes was from the fan shroud to the moved alternator, with a view to cooling it. Not really necessary. :)

He may well have over worked the brakes as well. ;)

I will probably in the first instance, put a 2cv manifold on. I may just mount a 2cv engine, if it will mate up with the gearbox.

The rear mount and gear lever will need some fabrication. I have no idea where the gear positions will be. :lol:

Edit

I've not seen it yet, Pete says the original flywheel will come with it. But I don't know what is in there, or even if there is one :D

January 8th, 2022, 11:27 pm
Firing on two.

Oh this sounds I like it could be really awesome.

January 9th, 2022, 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next