View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tracking and tyre wear 
Firing on two.

Post Tracking and tyre wear
The two front tyres on the 1985 spécial are both wearing excessively on the inner edges. The one on the right hand side has worn more than the left. And although I'm in France this is a RHD car.

Normally this will be tracking. The results from the latest Contrôle Technique (= MoT) show toe-out of about 3 m/km (on the results it's given as "-2.9m/km"), and show an acceptable range - hopefully this actually is geared to a 2CV - of between -8m/km and +8m/km. And as I have always believed that a bit of toe-out is right, that looks about right to me.

I have also been told that road conditions make a difference. I drive the car almost exclusively on nearby country roads: this is a hilly area and there are very frequent tight bends in the roads: apparently this kind of cornering gives increased wear on the inner edges. The guy at the garage suggested it was possible to reduce wear like this by increasing the tyre pressures above what is recommended, but I haven't tried this.

Any suggestions? Or should I just budget on buying new tyres before each CT? This will shortly be cheaper for me as the car should soon be re-registered as a collectors' car, with the CT only once every 5 years.

Finally, a question. Does anyone know what tyres were supplied new on the later 2CVs - 125s or 135s?

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

December 15th, 2021, 11:16 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Tracking and tyre wear
I can certainly confirm that the 2CV would have been fitted with the Michelin X 125 tyre all round. The 135 was mainly fitted to the vans. It probably wouldn't harm putting a few extra psi in the tyres. It'll reduce the heavy feel to the steering input for one thing. I don't have the knowledge to comment on the more technical aspects of your query.

December 15th, 2021, 12:13 pm
Firing on two.

Considering how the front wheels angle into turns, I can see why he'd say this could produce wear on the inside of the front tyres. I always wear the outside of the rear left - many roundabouts here, which I usually take pretty fast. My last 2cv did the same. (I'm right hand drive in the UK.)

December 15th, 2021, 5:11 pm
Firing on two.

I believe he is right.
Anyway you shouldn't wait for any suggestions, but go for a proper wheel alignment.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205750 ... age-vs-nct

The slip test results just refer to how much meters the car will slip to one side for every kilometre.

If the number is positive it means the axle is making the car go towards the centre of the road (offside). If it's negative the car is going towards the kerb (nearside).

It does not matter if the wheels are toe in or out. What matters is amount of toe between each wheel. If both wheels on the front are toe out by the exact amount the car will go straight. The same can be said if they are toe in

December 16th, 2021, 9:01 am
Firing on two.

Taskos seems to be suggesting that the toe-out can be right on one side but wrong on the other. I thought previously (as a 2CV has nothing like power steering) that the only difference between adjusting one side or the other was that the steering wheel "centre" position would be different.

I really like the idea that I should only adjust the tracking on the side where the wear is worst, but I don't quite believe it.

But I will take it into our local garage - it's a Peugeot garage but the owner has a nice 2CV - and have it done properly.

And I might go back to 125s. I have a spare pair of good Michelin 125s, and I'd only need two (three?- maybe have a spare) rather than four.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

December 17th, 2021, 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]