View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Front door catch - 1960s van 
Firing on two.

Post Front door catch - 1960s van
I've got a problem with the inside door latch on my old AZU250.

There was a ping and the door couldn't be opened from the inside. What I know now is that I should have just slid the rod back into the rear catch, twisting it slightly, and I should have replaced the little spring that holds it up to the door (the spring had broken). This would have been a complete repair.

Instead I undid the inside (and outside) catch at the rear of door. Various small parts dropped inside the hollow section of the door. These included the captive? non-captive? nuts that the three screws securing the catch go into.

I've two questions. Does anyone know offhand how the nuts are held in place inside the door while the catch is being replaced? I have to say mine looks a little bodged-up with extra spacer washers to make it fit.

And I think I am going to have to remove the door to shake the bits out. Presumably this is easier than turning the whole van upside down .... But is it best to leave the hinges fastened to the door, and take the other end of the hinge off the body? Or just remove the hinges from the door? I am concerned that there might be yet more loose fittings that I will be able to drop inside the door at the hinge end!

Advice very welcome.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

October 23rd, 2021, 5:39 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Front door catch - 1960s van
There are usally captive nuts in the door. Some times a plate with 3 treaded holes. As all old 2cv doors slide out i don't see a problem in getting them off the car and holding them upside down. The sedan has a cover on top of the door hinges i don't know the vans are. In the rear you have a little metal plate 1/3 from the doors bottom in a cut in the hinge. If you screw this of the door can slide. Good luck.

October 23rd, 2021, 11:45 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks, but a 1969 van has the doors hung the other way, not suicide fashion. So it has two hinges at the front, rather than that clever folded channel.

I expect there is a plate with threaded holes down inside the door. It's just a matter of getting it out!

1982 Red Special - RHD

October 24th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Firing on two.

Ok, you said a 1960 van... ;-)
If you draw the position of the nuts on the hinge before taking them off that must help to put them back in the right position.

October 24th, 2021, 4:43 pm
Firing on two.

Succeeded. The triangular metal plate with three tapped holes at the corners had become quite securely wedged at the bottom of the door. It took some gentle thumping to dislodge it and get back out through the gaps in the door at the top.

I learned two lessons.

Never remove the larger - inside - part of the catch. Loosen its screws to adjust it, but don't remove them. You can get at other parts of the mechanism by removing the key barrel and working from the outside.

In the event of ignoring the first piece of advice, take the door off (leave hinges on the car) and put it flat on a bench, outside part uppermost. The triangular plate will sit nicely on the inner skin, and you can see the screws going in through the hole for the barrel and outside handle.

The next thing is to try to satisfy the local Controle Technique (MoT) centre, with their newly fiercer rules. That van is 52 years old and the tester is 25. I wonder how his bodywork will look in 52 years time when he's 77?

1982 Red Special - RHD

Last edited by Dennis on October 24th, 2021, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 24th, 2021, 5:14 pm
Firing on two.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

October 24th, 2021, 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]