View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Clanking Noise 
Firing on two.

Post Clanking Noise
Ages ago the car started making really awful clanking noises over bumps etc. Actually quite similar sounding to when you don't install the wings properly and the bottom edges catch on the suspension arm.
I showed it to an old school 2cv guy and he said it was a loose clamp on the steering column where it joins the rack. We tightened it, and it was so much better. A little clank remained though.

Today I've cleaned up that connector and loosened it right off before snugging it up absolutely as far as it will go. The little clank is still there but its better.

My theory is, because it was loose before and rode up and down a little or something, hence the clank, it created some wear and now the clamp is unable to clamp it enough. Its solid, but there is still this slight noise occasionally. I can't think what the solution would be, if there needs to be one?
A replacement used rack perhaps? So the splined bit would be unworn. Would be a shame to have to change to for such a small thing though. Is it possible the noise comes from the steering rack perhaps? (Hope not.)
Its not possible to recreate the clank noise at all when the car is stationary. I had the wings off and was swivelling the wheels for ages, nothing doing.

It basically needs to be tighter but the clamp is closed completely so there is no more tightening available. Maybe a different clamp perhaps?

As always, thoughts and advice would be very welcome.

August 22nd, 2021, 9:34 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Clanking Noise
Please be aware that this clamp is notorious for snaping if overtighten. Note that it needs a high tension bolt.
As problems in this area may indicate a bend chassis , do confirm the parallelity and centering of parts before assembly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

August 27th, 2021, 8:39 am
Firing on two.

Oh that is really great information. Thanks Taskos.

Yes it's this clamp. I think for starters I should get a new one of those.

August 27th, 2021, 10:09 pm
Firing on two.

Does your steering column move vertically?

August 27th, 2021, 10:55 pm
Firing on two.

No not with my efforts it feels tight. I just wonder if the speed bumps the UK is filled with, are able up produce movement I can't

August 28th, 2021, 2:57 am
Firing on two.

I changed my steering column thanks to the excellent Simon Sobey who sold me a good used one.

The splines on mine were indeed worn and lots of metal filings present. Success, bitch of a job though it took longer than I thought. Its much quieter now, but I think there was more than this problem, as less loud clicks and clanks are audible now from both sides at the front I think, although a bit more on the nearside. It does clank especially when settling after corners but otherwise feels and drives great.

I've greased my knives edges religiously, and also deep cleaned and relubricated them not long ago with no change to the noise.

So I think this has to be either knife edges that are worn due to mileage, or suspension arm bearings. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for the previous advice!

Last edited by Ianredspecial on April 5th, 2022, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

January 15th, 2022, 10:29 pm
Firing on two.

Citroen advised in the 60s to take out the axle bolts one by one, grease them and put them back in and torque them correctly. I had some strange noise in my supension too. It came from a little pebble that wedged it'self between wing and the pivoting part of the wheelarm.

January 16th, 2022, 12:04 am
Firing on two.

I once had a pebble trap itself somewhere down there, sounded horrible.

So greasing the bolts holding the arms on? That's interesting.

I do worry about the bearings in the suspension arms being dry, but I think that's a garage job so they can use the ramp.

I've bought a set of good used knife rod edges to put in at some point, but I am leaning towards dry/worn bearings. It's done about 120k miles and lots of heavy loading and having fun on bumps. Maybe I'm paying for that now...

January 16th, 2022, 10:41 am
Firing on two.

The bolts that hold the axle to the chassis not the arms. The arms bearings can be a problem too. My brother had that on his acadiane. On the way to portugal he broken down in spain. The rollers in the bearings were completly desintegrated by rust. So somewhere water got at them.

January 16th, 2022, 5:29 pm
Firing on two.

This condition may cause loud clicking during acceleration from stand still.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

January 16th, 2022, 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next