View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Clanking Noise 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Clanking Noise
[quote=" while my not very happy about it other half swayed the car hard from side to side.

[/quote]
What is wrong with her ?

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

January 29th, 2022, 9:00 pm
Firing on two.

Geert wrote:
[quote=" while my not very happy about it other half swayed the car hard from side to side.

What is wrong with her ?[/quote]

It's a non car orientated he. Well, he likes cars if they're nice, but really hates doing anything car related.

Last week I took possession of his VW Golf to save it from the scrapyard. It was in a very sorry state. Some people just shouldn't have cars!

He tries not to like my 2cv - being a younger streetwise black guy I don't think he feels like it suits his image. Haha. But last time we took a trip in it I caught him waving and smiling at people on the motorway as they took pictures.

Normally he prefers my old V8 Mercs.

January 29th, 2022, 9:39 pm
Firing on two.

My son thinks his 1992 Mazda 323 is an ashtray.
He had to pick his girlfriend up from Budapest airport, so he cleaned it insite and out.
I have never seen such a lot of cigaret stumps and ash
My hoover was completely filled with them.
Not to mention the bag of tins and food packages. that came out before.
You are right, some people should not have them.

January 30th, 2022, 8:27 am
Firing on two.

Sounds similar! The last time it was washed was by me, probably a year ago. The moss was flying off the car with the pressure washer. Poor thing, but I made it happy again.

Once, he sat in his car while I washed it at the yard. You can imagine what I thought of that. Hahaha.

January 30th, 2022, 12:51 pm
Firing on two.

So it turns out my shackles were nasty. Heres a pic. I've replaced them with better ones.
Still a slight noise at the front but not as bad, I think due to the knife edges I had with the shackles, that were worn. I've bought some new ones and will put them in soon. It was a really lovely drive apart from 3 fairly quiet clanks, it was cushy and soft and very nice. The front end is now back to up where it was about 10 years ago.

I really enjoyed doing this for the first time. Thanks to my amazing garage who lent me their ramp and moral support. And you guys too.

Attachment:
Shackle Cropped.jpg

Attachment:
Knife edge Cropped.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

February 3rd, 2022, 10:29 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah, that could give some noise.
Good of you to fix it.

February 4th, 2022, 8:21 am
Firing on two.

It was a very satisfying morning. One shackle came off very nicely. This area of the car I have always kept greased so maybe that helped. The other had to be heated to a bonkers temperature to get it to crack open and spin.

I've got some ecas edges on order so I'll pop those in when they come and see if I can get complete silence again.

Also it seems I should lubricate my suspension cylinders again. I've done it a few times, but just in case. The clank I get is very much from the front though.

February 4th, 2022, 5:19 pm
Firing on two.

Well I had another nice morning using the garage ramp and love dit, replaced my two front knife edges. Hilarious how easy this is now I've done it once, not even half an hour.
Tweaked my ride height very slightly, I thought it might make sense to have it a tiny touch more on the drivers side since I rarely carry passengers these days.
Replaced the Copperslip grease with proper grease as not suitable for this purpose apparently.
Put lots of lovely castor oil in my suspension cylinders because thats probably overdue. Did rotate them around a bit, never realised you could do that before.
Uber greased the king pins and drive shafts although I do these frequently anyway.

And it still clanks! Oh well, I've tried. Lol!

I'll book it in to this nice garage and ask them to check out the bearings in the suspension arms for me, quite possible they're dry. Thats all i can think of.
However, it is pretty dreamy now aside from the occasional noise, and now I know nothing is about to snap off or anything I'll happily drive it without fear of death. Its like driving a Range Rover or something! I know they're always good over speed bumps but it just glides over them like a magic carpet now. Quite funny.

February 18th, 2022, 8:06 pm
Firing on two.

:D

February 19th, 2022, 9:46 am
Firing on two.

It's great if other cars follow you close at a speed bumps you hear. Plok plok from the 2cv and then the car behind you get's launched ;-)

February 20th, 2022, 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next