View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 LED Headlamp Bulbs 
Firing on two.

Post LED Headlamp Bulbs
I'm intrigued. Has anyone tried these newer replacement LED headlamp bulbs? Just wondering if they're any good yet, less draw on the electrical system seems a good idea.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... sion-9-32v

February 4th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs
Strictly speaking, they're actually illegal to fit.... (b) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used before 1st April 1986:

30 watts minimum

And from what I can tell from the pre-war/vintage scene (namely pre-war Morris Minor and Austin Seven forums) LEDs are still pretty rubbish. They don't throw the light out in the same way as conventional tungsten or halogen bulbs.

February 4th, 2021, 7:42 pm
Firing on two.

Hi Jonathan.

Yes, strictly speaking they're illegal for MOT but no requirement to check bulbs. However I'd be more concerned with the throw of the beam being correct. I know that's been the problem in the past.

These ones claim to mimic the same cut off for the low beam. If that's the case they may be an option now, finally. Bit expensive to experiment with though..

February 4th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Firing on two.

I've just clicked on your link to have a look at what is available. They seem to have omitted 6v units, which would be an absolute godsend to vintage car owners where tungsten and halogen bulbs require a massive amount of the available energy that a 90-year-old dynamo can produce. I have LED sidelights in my 1932 Minor, and it's fitted with halogen headlight bulbs..... not that I use them, but I might be more willing to do so if they were properly functioning* LEDs.

*Not for night-time driving so much, but more as DRLs so I'll be more visible to other road users.

February 4th, 2021, 9:43 pm
Firing on two.

You can get led side lights that are surprisingly bright. Though its possible the whiteness of the light. Ultra low wattage.

February 4th, 2021, 10:22 pm
Firing on two.

I had LED headlamps installed, two years ago. But the beam did not have the right cut off. For the MOT I did replace them with halogen again.The one shown by IRS seem to have a small cap on the top LED which might provide the right beam.

February 4th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Firing on two.

They do seem very sure the Iight pattern is correct now. Have to admit, I'm tempted. Saw some Phillips ones at £100, which made these seem cheap, haha.

I read on one review page these last for 3 years unless they're rated for longer, and then could last six years. So not long, quite a big downside. I definitely wouldn't want ones with little fans in the units. Would be hilarious, but no.

February 4th, 2021, 10:57 pm
Firing on two.

Do they supply them with the round P45t base, or only the P43t as shown in that link?
The thin metal adapters (if you can still find them) to fit P43t bulbs into P45t headlight units would probably be ok but I don't think the thicker plastic adapters are a good idea even with normal bulbs, due to the change of the position of the light source in relation to the reflector affecting the beam pattern. I would expect them to be even worse with LED bulbs, particularly when they are making a point to say that they are "specifically designed to mimic the dimensions of a standard H4 Halogen bulb".

February 5th, 2021, 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
You can get led side lights that are surprisingly bright. Though its possible the whiteness of the light. Ultra low wattage.

The LED sidelights in the '32 Minor are very bright in low light levels, but in full daylight they are worse than tungsten. The 'bulb' itself is very bright, but it doesn't throw light backward onto the reflector for it to cast it forward through the glass. I just end up with a very bright, but tiny point of light that doesn't really provide enough lumen to act as a DRL.

February 5th, 2021, 1:26 am
Firing on two.

And you almost don't see led rear lights as the sun shines on it.
There was an other british site that had LED bulbs for vintage motorcycles.

February 5th, 2021, 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next