View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Is it a car or a sieve? 

Post Is it a car or a sieve?
Since I took ownership of this lovely 2cv I have been on a path of continuous improvement, in other words trying to eradicate minor niggles & annoyances. After successfully fixing a serious leak around the windscreen by fitting a new seal & screen, in the process realising why it leaked, the slots either side if the windscreen frame reveal were left unsealed by previous owner. Also early signs the repaired oil filler/breather has gone a long way to minimise oil leaks. My third quest is with the petrol tank, a while back I filled up with premium unleaded then to be alerted by the forecourt staff fuel was leaking out (quite fast) below the tank. So returned home ASAP & set about investigating. Needless to sayI had to remove the tank & found the seal around the fuel gauge sender unit had failed, whatever was used before hadn’t worked, there was gooey blobs of some inappropriate black sealant surrounding the unit on top of the tank.
So cleaned it all up & fitted the sender unit using the original rubber gasket with Blue Hylomar as belt & braces approach.
Time has passed & now in need of filling up with petrol again. Confident with my repair I filled the car up again with super unleaded only to find to my utter dismay, it’s still leaking but only when filled up. I can see the local petrol station banning me at this rate.
Having driven around for a while to use up half a gallon or so I got home safely & no leaking now. Has my attempt at a repair failed? Guess I will have to drop the tank again. Drat & double drat.

February 3rd, 2021, 2:28 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Is it a car or a sieve?
Many reasons of leakage there.
May be of some help:
https://shared.yellowgrey.com/2016/03/2 ... ne-fixing/

Also check the filler neck rubber.
Is it the tank the plastic one?
Take caution with this flamable-explosive-toxic etc liquid.

February 3rd, 2021, 9:21 pm
Firing on two.

if there is a spilt in the fuel delivery pipe join, then I would anticipate the pump having some difficulty drawing fuel up. If you need to buy a joiner, go for 5.5mm as 6mm will require clips. Although, clips are not a bad idea. :)

When you remove the tank, it may be an idea to put some hose on the delivery spigot, place a hand over the filler end, and blow down the hose. If air escapes, then fuel will. ;)

When running down the tank, take a can of fuel with you, so if you do get over enthusiastic with running it down, you can put in just enough to get home.

I need to remove my fuel tank in the summer to fit a high pressure pump. :(

February 4th, 2021, 1:16 am

Thanks Taskos & Roger for your advice,

It is a plastic tank & I will take care investigating the problem. I might resort to siphoning out the petrol rather than waiting until the car has used it up, not travelling far at this time of year. Don’t think I have the patience to wait much longer, perhaps when we get a nice dry day I will give it a go.

February 4th, 2021, 7:45 pm

Ok, finally got around to dropping the petrol tank. My earlier attempt at sealing the fuel gauge sender unit to the tank had failed.
Using a new rubber gasket from the excellent Ecas 2cv parts supplier I tried again, but it still leaked.
I came to the conclusion it needed more than the 3 fixing screws so I carefully drilled 3 additional ones & used good quality self tapping screws. With all 6 carefully tightened, success!
Hopefully this be the last time removing the tank, not an easy job to carry out without ramps, gravity is the enemy, perhaps I will invest in a pair of drive on ramps for future jobs.

February 21st, 2021, 2:48 pm
Firing on two.

Gravity is especially the enemy as the tank is full. My brother had one banged on his head while unscrewing it... ;-)
Your leaking windscreen. The slot holes under the rubber are for spot welding the frame in the factory and should be taped up before mounting the screen. Use some good tape like the 3m black insulation tape. Factory used something very similar.

Last edited by AZL57 on February 22nd, 2021, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2021, 6:42 pm

ALZ57, yes figured out the slots needed to be taped & it has been watertight so far.
Now is the time to start enjoying trips out, Covid-19 allowing

February 21st, 2021, 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]