View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Flickering Headlights and Stereo Clicking 
Firing on two.

Post Flickering Headlights and Stereo Clicking
With the above, could this be a failing condensor? Just put in a new voltage regulator and it seems better, but I have also changed the condensor so now I'm wondering.

The stereo wold do a horrible kind of random clicking noise but only at idle. Not doing it now.

Just curious.

November 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Flickering Headlights and Stereo Clicking
Earthing of bits?

November 25th, 2020, 4:30 pm
Firing on two.

As Pete suggests, I would start checking ground connections.

Start at the battery and clean (clean wire brush or file, not wd40), and make sure they clamp up on both connectors (tight isnt the same as clamping). If there are any 12v supplies coming off the battery, then clean them as well and refit.

Then follow the ground connectors to where the other end of the cable/s terminates. Clean and refit those. The heavy live cable going to the starter motor probably only needs testing to see if its loose at the starter end. If its loose, remove, clean, and refit.

It not impossible that it may solve the sticky throttle cable as well. :)

You may want to check the fuses and fuse holders are clean whilst your in electical mode.

November 25th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks gents. I think they're all good, but I like the idea of checking it through methodically like that.
I've only had one earth problem so far on this car, it was easily solved oonce found, just redoing the earth for that particular circuit.

The stereo is direct from battery so yeah super easy lol.

November 25th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Firing on two.

Mr Ian Red-Special

Methodical is what you have to be, and you can't trust anything you have fixed before in the past.

Electricity, does all sorts of weirdness. It generally finds a path of least resistance.

Capacitor, regulator, radio picking up interference, suggests you have either a ground issue, or items sharing a single circuit. :)

November 25th, 2020, 10:57 pm
Firing on two.

Hmm yes could my short condensor life experiences be due to a grounding or short circuit issue do you think?

Under the bonnet is the best part of this car at this point in its life. Its all very nice under there, I will quite enjoy a good methodical fiddle through this.

November 25th, 2020, 11:47 pm
Firing on two.

On the other hand, I drove out to work earlier and all symptoms like that were gone. Wipers, lights, stereo loud no clicking noises. I did change the voltage regulator yesterday for a new one.

I did always suspect the voltage regulator was a bit on the high side. Never had any battery problems but I have one of those crap little 12v meters you plug into the 12v socket and it would often say 15ish volts with the engine running. Very cheap metering device though, and since the wipers went slow at idle with the lights on if the car was stationary for a minute, I decided it was probably inaccurate.

Could something like that affect the life of the condensor I wonder.

Sorry to involve you in my musings!

November 26th, 2020, 12:01 am
Firing on two.

As has been said before, and i tend to think they are probably correct, capacitors are not so good these days. However, you probably have a bad connection somewhere. And it may well be intermitent, which can be the worst to find. A good rummage under the bonnet then :) Keep us posted and ask away. :)

November 26th, 2020, 12:21 am
Firing on two.

Cheers me dears.

November 26th, 2020, 1:38 am
Firing on two.

Just coming back to this as I've been giving the Deuche some love and have renewed some connections. Did a few, a couple of ground points that seemed sound, but I was fannying about with electrical connectors and shrink wrap anyway so while I was there I replaced a couple of those by snipping the end and putting on a new connector with the shrink wrap too. (I love that stuff!)
Also replaced the connectors on the wires to the alternator, they seemed OK but just to be thorough.

The voltage regulator I had already replaced with another from Ecas.

Took the battery indoors for a full charge, cleaned the terminals thoroughly and re-joined the battery cables to their end terminals too, while I was there. And also the wires running items directly from the battery, all replaced into the terminals nicely.

The battery clamp bar I have always hated, so near to the positive terminal - I cut a sheet of plastic neatly to form a shield, which fits under the terminal. Previously I had painted that clamp bar with rubberised paint but still, it's so close to the battery terminal clamp.

That's all I did, I popped in a voltage monitor I just bought and everything seems way better according to that. My old one was some cheap Chinese built rubbish and this was a replacement, but voltage according to this was really stable at about 14.3 while driving. Previously it was erratic, going up to scary 15+ but I don't know if that was my 'equipment' or not. The stereo didn't make any popping noises though.

It was all quite satisfying to be honest, I will have to drive it at night to see for sure, I will update. Assistance was much appreciated, as always.

May 14th, 2021, 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next