View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 front Shock absorber mount 
Firing on two.

Post front Shock absorber mount
So....Begining the process of getting an MoT on the new arrival, finding more issues and already contemplating why I ever started on another project....

Exhaust was blowing everywhere, and although it looked fairly new, it had numerous holes...probably due to lying outside inactive for around a year....
Also, heat exchangers knackered with rusted off flanges. :roll: :roll:

One of the rear shocks was leaking, I had some recently aquired units so I thought I'd spend 10 mins replacing them.....wrong ! Nuts all seized solid, had to revert to a nut splitter. Front shock mount looks like its not been off in a long time and the 3 bolts do not feel that thay want to come out.......

Any suggestions other than go for it, snap off the heads and drill the fekkers out....? :( :(

(Or maybe just leave the fronts well alone )

November 3rd, 2022, 12:22 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: front Shock absorber mount
The original shock absorbers were very good quality. Unless your shocks need changing, I wouldn't change them. (I've still got the originals on my 1967 AK and they still work perfectly).

November 3rd, 2022, 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Leave the front alone until you have the MOT, then there is less pressure on you to rush them and feck up. :)

November 3rd, 2022, 9:03 am
Firing on two.

Good idea!
I'll get the guys at the garage to point their torch at them after the MoT...

November 3rd, 2022, 10:28 am
Firing on two.

I can't remember what size and spec they are. High tensile though. So, be sure you have a source of replacements first.

I bought some longer ones for my anti roll bar (not yet fitted :) ), so they must be available.

November 3rd, 2022, 12:03 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
I can't remember what size and spec they are. High tensile though. So, be sure you have a source of replacements first.

I bought some longer ones for my anti roll bar (not yet fitted :) ), so they must be available.

They are M9x1.25.
I thought that the Ami anti-roll bar mounting bolts are larger (but I could well be wrong, as it's probably 15 years since I sold my Ami Super and I haven't looked closely at an anti-roll pbar since).

November 4th, 2022, 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]