View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paint advice, please - Blue Celeste. 
Firing on two.

Post Paint advice, please - Blue Celeste.
Hi.

Having a couple of problems getting paint to touch up my 1989 Blue Celeste Special.

The stamped bulkhead paint code is EMBhS (note that I don't think the 'h' is really an 'h' but is a poorly half-stamped letter - I guess it could be 'H', 'R', or similar.) Beneath this code are the numbers 4421.

I know that the paint code for Blue Celeste is 'EMB', so no mystery there. However, I'd appreciate knowing is what the additional letters (-hS, or whatever it is) and numbers (4421) refer to. Anyone know?! Is it important for the actual 'shade' of Blue Celeste used?

I'm also having difficulty with the bumper and wheel colour. I understand from internet research that the shade used between 1967 and 1990 was Gris Rose (with a French thingy on the e...) code AC140. (There was a slightly different Gris Rose used up until 1967, apparently). However, I have been informed by a paint supplier that they have no record of this shade being used along with Blue Celeste, rather they reckon FYB Gris Tornade [dark grey range] and FYE Gris Fumee [mid grey range] were used. I'm not convinced...

They confirm that Gris Rose was a bumper colour but they reckon their data base shows 'it was never used with Blue Celeste'.

My bumper and wheel grey is a very light shade, almost cream.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

July 27th, 2009, 10:04 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Paint advice, please - Blue Celeste.
I will look on my blue celeste shed today and try to help you out. :P

getting there slowly.

July 27th, 2009, 10:50 am
I'll try and find the relevant info on paint codes (I've got it somewhere here...) but the four digit number stencilled onto the bulkhead is the RPO or ORGA number which tells you the date on which your 2CV was born. I mean built ;)

To find out when it was built (there may also be paint code info there too), go to this link http://www.cats-citroen.net/home.html

July 27th, 2009, 11:06 am
Firing on two.

yea thats how i found out my celeste was born....built on 19th april 1990, cant do it with my current car as the bulkhead has been covered up by paint, (btw jon, could do with that info soonish so i can do a write up on here of it! ta!) i found that going to the local sprayer with the car and the code helped, he could mix up the paint according to the code, then mix it to the car, it helped when i bought a brand new wing for mine, either that or you could risk buying a ready mixed can by a certain big 2cv parts company, spray some in the lid and use a small brush to touch up with.

July 27th, 2009, 12:24 pm
Firing on two.

Blue Celeste code:-AC 575 (EMB) July 1985 - July 1990. Try both or either of those codes.
Wheels paint code:- Gris Rose 1960-Sept.1967 AC136
Gris Rose Sept.1967-July 1990 AC140

Looking into it, there are in fact 3 different Gris Rose, but the AC140 number is mostly used for all :shock:

July 27th, 2009, 2:28 pm
Firing on two.

Brilliant - thanks all.

I'll def check out that ORGA number, spanners.

Cheers, Tom. Hopefully I should have it sorted out now. I did wonder if the last two letters after EMB referred to a 'shade' difference. Does anyone know (a) what the letters are - I don't think the first one is lower case 'h', and (b) what they mean?

Sopwithcamel, your info tallies with what I've gleaned from t'net - AC140 is the likely candidate. Which means the paint company I've been in touch with got their facts wrong...

Anyways, looks like I'm getting there!

Just want to know what the last two letters are and mean, please!

July 27th, 2009, 2:46 pm
Firing on two.

i must admit when i was lookin at it for mine when i needed a wing sprayed i was confused what that 'h' was, i remember it being on mine, it looked to me like it could have been a miss printed letter, but i never found out what it meant, if you do go to a sprayer, he/she might be able to tell you... i never asked stupidly enough.

July 28th, 2009, 1:03 am
Firing on two.

Ah! So it COULD be a lower-case 'h' after all?!

Curiouser and curiouser...

C'mon - someone must have a Celeste Blue with the stamp number completely visible?!!

July 28th, 2009, 11:08 am
Firing on two.

I shall check tonight, although I think it's EMBdS.

A list, from another site, with all the paint codes....
http://www.2cvstuff.com/2CV_models_colours.html

July 28th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks, Richard.

Any chance you know what they actually represent? The 'dS' or 'hS' part.

Thanks for the link too - yes, that's where I got much of my info from. This suggests that AC140 Gris Rose is the latest shade so should be the one used on my car, but a paint company has told me it wasn't used along with Blue Celeste. Personally, I suspect they're wrong...

I take it you have Blue Celeste too? Can you confirm what your bumper/wheel colour code and name is? Is it a very light, almost cream, shade?

Cheers.

July 28th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next