View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 19th, 2024, 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 MOT : testing of suspension 
Firing on two.

Post MOT : testing of suspension
I have a question with regard to MOT : How do they test the entire suspension ? Is it a visual check, do they only check play on bearings, steering rod, pignons etc or is the car put on vibrating tabels ( as to induce forces of low frequency and certain amplitude ). Do they check the differences left/tight with regard to an allowed max tolerance ?
It would be nice if you also indicate the country you consider.

July 21st, 2020, 8:03 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: MOT : testing of suspension
Belgian MOT gives sometimes lot's of problems with the shock absorbers. A friend that works at the belgian MOT and 2cv/ami fan say he will test with 2 people standing on the doorsills of the back doors. By doing this they avoid lots of problems with the light 2cv with it's special suspension. But if your tester will do this too i don't know... Good luck.

July 21st, 2020, 9:30 pm
Firing on two.

Well AZL57, its gone worse now, there is no will any longer to make the car heavier by two persons on the sides !
I have info that in the Netherlands there is basically a visual inspection and a mechanical test (shifter plates) to check play on all steering components. No vibration test with controlled frequencies and amplitude. So I want to know whats happening in other countries too. So if vieuwers here would simply state yes or no a vibration test on plates in the floor underneath the two wheels of an axis, that would be great.

July 21st, 2020, 10:38 pm
Firing on two.

France- vibration test (Shifter plates ?) followed by, visual inspection. I dread that one as it shakes the whole car, but my 1962 AZU van seems to get by OK

July 22nd, 2020, 8:05 am
Firing on two.

@bobh : Shifter plates move horizontally, vibration plates move vertically. The shifter plates are used to check the play on the various components of the suspension. the steering wheel is blocked when shifting. Shifting can be done one by one. The vibration test is done according to a fixed program.
Are these vibration plates used in France ?

July 22nd, 2020, 8:39 am
Firing on two.

In Norway, some workshops do have those plates that move in different directions, to be able to find wear in the suspension. And those vibration plates. But it is not mandatory, and it's normally not used in the MOT.
Non of the workshops I've ever used have those, and the MOT is done visual, and by using you're arms and or prybars to check for play. Simple and effective. The shock absorber are a purely visual thing. If no leaks, they are good to go. On the 2CV they mostly just say "It's an old car designed in the 40's. Let's cut it some slack, yeah?".
I mean, why over-complicate things.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

July 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
Firing on two.

@Eiriklj : Very good to know that one of the Nordic countries, known to be rather strickt about safety, has such a relevant view on our oldtimers. Its about the same view as in the Netherlands. Thnks for your post !

July 22nd, 2020, 11:22 am
Firing on two.

We have a rolling 40 year exemption in the uk for MOT. So, just try to keep mine in order. :)

However, based on conversation with my brother in law a number of years ago, its only a fail, if they leak, or are clearly buggered. They dont bounce them up and down like they used to, because inspectors were putting dents in aluminium wings testing them!

July 22nd, 2020, 10:08 pm
Firing on two.

@RogerV : OK so just visual inspection in the UK, like many other countries !
Tnks a lot.

July 22nd, 2020, 10:18 pm
Firing on two.

Shifting plates only at the rdw for getting your car licensed. At MOT never seen a shift or vibration test. They put the car on the lift, take the frontwheelsup in the air and lift under the fusees with a bar to see if there is play and take the wheel top/bottom to feel play in the bearings. That's all.
Can't you put something heavy on the floor behind the front seats?

July 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next